HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Break Open - What Happened to the Omega? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/404060-break-open-what-happened-omega.html)

sabotloader 01-22-2016 11:29 AM

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Well most of you know I am not a fan of a Break Open - rifle or ML - trap shotgun OK...

But as I sit here I realize the Break Open is the way of most of the the people out there. Mainly I think as they are perceived as easy to clean....

But then I think about the different BO opens I have had - Triumph-Vision and the Optima that a friend has - none of those did I really like or care fore.

But I did have 3 different Omega's - if I were going to be saddled with a non-bolt rifle that rifle truly would have been my choice. In fact I really in away wish I had one still.

But anyway had TC chose to keep that in the line up today and they progressed the rifle to the modern standards of today with a tool-less BP and a real adjustable trigger and of course a true BH shooter - I really wonder where it might stack up.

No hinges to worry about a one piece solid stock for a shooting platform - gosh it was just a good rifle.

So why did TC drop that rifle?

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 11:34 AM

I tend to agree.I like the drop action more than the break action. That's one reason my custom build was done with an omega

Grouse45 01-22-2016 11:45 AM

The trigger guard on the Omega was a big problem for a lot of people. The trigger itself was not that great on the Omega either. The Omega is the only ML I've ever seen were a barrel got shot out. But I will say, T/C replaced it at no charge. Another problem was, it seemed like they all need bedded to get good accuracy. That's just a few things I could remember.

Grouse45 01-22-2016 11:59 AM

I know where there is a brand new Z5 omega for sale if someone is looking. If you are just post on here. I'm sure that person will contact you.

sabotloader 01-22-2016 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241323)
The trigger guard on the Omega was a big problem for a lot of people. The trigger itself was not that great on the Omega either. The Omega is the only ML I've ever seen were a barrel got shot out. But I will say, T/C replaced it at no charge. Another problem was, it seemed like they all need bedded to get good accuracy. That's just a few things I could remember.

well even with that they were better than the Triumph! and of course every thing you mentioned is an easy fix. I shot the heck out of one of Omega's never had a problem other than a stock problem and that was super easy to fix. O' the QLA surely could have down with out that...

But still by far I would be more inclined to get a used SS Omega vs. a new break open.

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241334)
well even with that they were better than the Triumph! and of course every thing you mentioned is an easy fix. I shot the heck out of one of Omega's never had a problem other than a stock problem and that was super easy to fix. O' the QLA surely could have down with out that...

But still by far I would be more inclined to get a used SS Omega vs. a new break open.

Definitely !!!

Grouse45 01-22-2016 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241334)

What don't you like about the Triumph? I've owned a bunch of them. The speed breech always worked as expected. I don't think I had any problems with the finish. I did have some delays with BH209 but I don't think that would happen with mag primers. I really like the Triumph compared to break opens. I don't classify the Omega as a break open but I know most probably do.

super_hunt54 01-22-2016 12:25 PM

Sabot, the only problem I have ever had out of my TC PH is the fact of having to run fairly hot loads for it to group worth a dang. Of course that was after I accurized it with Mikes deal. It shot "okay" right off the rack but once I did that kit on it she woke up and got all happy n stuff :D I consider 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards pretty sporty myself :D You saw the results at 150 on that cold clean bore test I did a while back.

I didn't get that for ease of cleaning since I don't consider cleaning anything difficult on anything really. I got it for ease of loading. These meat hooks of mine that people call hands make loading up other various kinds of actions difficult at best, dang near impossible with some. I wanted to stay away from anything I would have to use a priming tool with since it would be just my luck to leave that tool on the bench when I needed it most.

sabotloader 01-22-2016 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241340)
What don't you like about the Triumph? I've owned a bunch of them. The speed breech always worked as expected. I don't think I had any problems with the finish. I did have some delays with BH209 but I don't think that would happen with mag primers. I really like the Triumph compared to break opens. I don't classify the Omega as a break open but I know most probably do.

I do not like a two piece stock and or a hinge in any rifle... For me everything about the Omega was better than the Triumph. Now today if the Omega were modernized it would even be that much better. So when I say an Omega - I mean an Omega of today not an Omega of OLD - but even they are not that bad.... They must be strong enough and accurate enough - BESTILL uses the Omega for his smokeless re-builds versus the Triumph. The drop action is a lot less prone to mechanical failure or wear out. Like they say the Omega was just a better rifle and I mean that literally it was a rifle.

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241323)

I got an idea. Instead of you designing a new break open you should design a drop action instead .I will review it for you if you send me a free one for testing .:barmy:

sabotloader 01-22-2016 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4241342)
Sabot, the only problem I have ever had out of my TC PH is the fact of having to run fairly hot loads for it to group worth a dang. Of course that was after I accurized it with Mikes deal. It shot "okay" right off the rack but once I did that kit on it she woke up and got all happy n stuff :D I consider 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards pretty sporty myself :D You saw the results at 150 on that cold clean bore test I did a while back.

I didn't get that for ease of cleaning since I don't consider cleaning anything difficult on anything really. I got it for ease of loading. These meat hooks of mine that people call hands make loading up other various kinds of actions difficult at best, dang near impossible with some. I wanted to stay away from anything I would have to use a priming tool with since it would be just my luck to leave that tool on the bench when I needed it most.

Did you ever shoot an Omega? And again when I say I would prefer an Omega - I am suggesting a Modern Day Omega with the upgrades of the some of the thing Grouse talked about. Still the older Omega was not that bad of rifle...

I imagine one today with a tooless, BP a better stock, a reall adjustable trigger with a slightly larger trigger guard, although I never had a problem at all with the old one once the hammer was pulled back. O that is another one a trigger safety versus a half cock safety...

Good gun!

MountainDevil54 01-22-2016 12:39 PM

well if you all are remembering the old days and the omega, it should only take a few more years for you to get with the program and get back to the Hawken :D

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:43 PM

I like my SS omega and my custom omega . I do admit I am not a fan of the cheaper z5 omega . The x7 was nice , I almost forgot it.

sabotloader 01-22-2016 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4241348)
well if you all are remembering the old days and the omega, it should only take a few more years for you to get with the program and get back to the Hawken :D

naw - never really liked the Hawkens - to fancy I am a Renegade guy - got a bunch of those...

This is my favorite...

Grouse45 01-22-2016 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241345)
I got an idea. Instead of you designing a new break open you should design a drop action instead .I will review it for you if you send me a free one for testing .:barmy:

Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now😂

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241351)
Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now😂

And with the demise of the Omega there are no drop actions in production.you would have the whole market . Just don't forget a fast twist version also

Grouse45 01-22-2016 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241353)
And with the demise of the Omega there are no drop actions in production.you would have the whole market . Just don't forget a fast twist version also

I would prefer a 45 but the 50 would be more popular for sure. It would be a 1/24 twist to accomadate the sabot guys and full bore guys.

sabotloader 01-22-2016 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241351)
Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now��

Combine that with a tool-less 17-4 breech plug and better receiver to stock fit and Wha-Lha - you could a have a perfect everyday ML for a majority of ML hunters - probably affordable also...

I know you are not going to like this... but - how many target shooters or snipers do you see shooting a braking rifle... Actually home hunting rifles do you see that break open?

Shotguns - different story!

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241354)
I would prefer a 45 but the 50 would be more popular for sure. It would be a 1/24 twist to accomadate the sabot guys and full bore guys.

50 cal 1:24. 45 cal 1:20 put me down for one of each

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:55 PM

Oops never mind I want a free one for testing plus it was my idea:)

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241355)
Combine that with a tool-less 17-4 breech plug and better receiver to stock fit and Wha-Lha - you could a have a perfect everyday ML for a majority of ML hunters - probably affordable also...

I know you are not going to like this... but - how many target shooters or snipers do you see shooting a braking rifle... Actually home hunting rifles do you see that break open?

I think annealing the breech plug would be a good idea

sabotloader 01-22-2016 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241357)
Oops never mind I want a free one for testing plus it was my idea:)

No it wasn't!!!!:devil: It was my idea to revive the Omega - it is just a better gun!

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241350)
naw - never really liked the Hawkens - to fancy I am a Renegade guy - got a bunch of those...

This is my favorite...

Have i got a deal for you .what you trade me for a renegade with green mountain barrels 45lrh, 54 , and 58

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241359)
No it wasn't!!!!:devil: It was my idea to revive the Omega - it is just a better gun!

My idea for Tom to redesign it and get it built :devil: maybe he should buy Knight and then he would have a jump start on the whole thing .:)

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241355)

I don't care about others you know that. I'm a hunter, and like to get better products for hunters at an affordable price. It started with bullets, then ventliners, and breech plugs. I sometimes regret ever getting Lehigh involved with Knight cause of the cost of bullets they are charging.

I've talked to Bestill on the phone. I know he's a good guy and does good work. But those one hole groups shooting ok bullets and thousands of dollar guns doesn't impress me at all. I'll go kill my Deer with my Knight 45 Super Disc with my bullets at 400 yards just like them. And just because they will out shoot me all day long on paper targets doesn't mean there better hunters. Don't bet against me when it comes down to who's Deer runs the farthest after being shot at 400 yards.😉

WV Hunter 01-22-2016 01:23 PM

I'd be in for a Knight Omega II :D

The SS Omega I had did not have the QLA, it shot excellent. I sold it to my buddy cause I just never shot it much and he was looking for one. The only things I personally didn't care for... was the angle of the trigger, and the crappy tupperware stock. I removed the butt pad and shoved a T-shirt in there...added a tiny bit of weight, but made the stock much quieter.
If the trigger was about 1/8" shorter at the same angle, fine... otherwise a little less angle and it would be perfect. I guess that goes along with the "trigger guard" issue, but to me it was more of a trigger issue. Got those change requests Grouse? :D

I would still like to have an X7. I passed on one a while back, still kicking myself on that deal. Someday, hopefully.

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4241367)
I'd be in for a Knight Omega II :D

The SS Omega I had did not have the QLA, it shot excellent. I sold it to my buddy cause I just never shot it much and he was looking for one. The only things I personally didn't care for... was the angle of the trigger, and the crappy tupperware stock. I removed the butt pad and shoved a T-shirt in there...added a tiny bit of weight, but made the stock much quieter.
If the trigger was about 1/8" shorter at the same angle, fine... otherwise a little less angle and it would be perfect. I guess that goes along with the "trigger guard" issue, but to me it was more of a trigger issue. Got those change requests Grouse? :D

I would still like to have an X7. I passed on one a while back, still kicking myself on that deal. Someday, hopefully.

Got to name it the Knight Alpha drop action .

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241362)
My idea for Tom to redesign it and get it built :devil: maybe he should buy Knight and then he would have a jump start on the whole thing .:)

Im tired of Knight stuff. I wanted the Ultralite completely changed but they didn't listen. I don't want that long stem on breech plugs. I wanted the bolt to be like a rifle bolt to pull the primer out of the breech plug. The primer would be inserted into the breech plug not the bolt.

This is a big reason why I got Bestill building me a 45. I am still using the 17/4 Lehigh plug cause his is 416 stainless. But it will be head spaced and stuff accordingly

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241369)
Im tired of Knight stuff. I wanted the Ultralite completely changed but they didn't listen. I don't want that long stem on breech plugs. I wanted the bolt to be like a rifle bolt to pull the primer out of the breech plug. The primer would be inserted into the breech plug not the bolt.

This is a big reason why I got Bestill building me a 45. I am still using the 17/4 Lehigh plug cause his is 416 stainless. But it will be head spaced and stuff accordingly

Even more reason for you to buy Knight and turn things around. Then get that Knight Alpha to me to test .

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241372)
Even more reason for you to buy Knight and turn things around. Then get that Knight Alpha to me to test .

Lol, you and Pete can loan me the money :busted::busted:

sabotloader 01-22-2016 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241369)

OK Tom - you have some people that are totally interested in a reborn Omega or what ever name it comes up with... And you could pencil me in for a 1/24 - 50 because it is more versatile to a larger group of people and a 1/20 - 45... that might rival Idaho Ron's Hot Rod Renegades... No competition in the market place right either as Chet said!

Dang do it!

But it was my ideal! let's have a :party:

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241373)

use that printing press :)

sabotloader 01-22-2016 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241373)

He has already suggested that to me only you and I put the money up and he gets to be in the front seat of the vehicle....:rolleye0011:

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241374)
OK Tom - you have some people that are totally interested in a reborn Omega or what ever name it comes up with... And you could pencil me in for a 1/24 - 50 because it is more versatile to a larger group of people and a 1/20 - 45... that might rival Idaho Ron's Hot Rod Renegades... No competition in the market place right either as Chet said!

Dang do it!

But it was my ideal! let's have a :party:

It is your idea and I like it. More so then the break action. You know what I'm gonna do so you can start anytime you want. I'll be there in a month or so.

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241375)
use that printing press :)

After 25 years I still haven't accomplished that yet

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4241376)
He has already suggested that to me only you and I put the money up and he gets to be in the front seat of the vehicle....:rolleye0011:

This Omega idea is going to keep me from jumping ship and making that MR better everyone thinks I hate.:wink:

sabotloader 01-22-2016 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4241380)
This Omega idea is going to keep me from jumping ship and making that MR better everyone thinks I hate.:wink:

Ok so this is going to get me in more trouble... the Omega of old is better the MR of today well at least the Optima that I have dinged around with...

But think if you put a GOOD tapered SS barrel on that (take away the TC barrel) and with the other corrections already discussed - GEE WOW!

You know I even think it might be somewhat less expensive to build over all. No machining two pieces for a hinge - a one piece CNC cut stock.

I really want one or two.

I really need to sneak this in also think about how it might be converted to a Western - just sayen :)

Plus you need to tell Terry that this was all your ideal and that I need one of each....

1874sharpsshooter 01-22-2016 01:56 PM

Make it strong enough that I can shoot 150 gr of Blackhorn pushing a sabotless bullet at 2500 fps if I want to .

Grouse45 01-22-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4241382)
LOL..I'm too poor to lend myself any money.

I'm sorry Muley, I meant Sabotloader. He goes by Mike and Pete.

sabotloader 01-22-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4241385)
Make it strong enough that I can shoot 150 gr of Blackhorn pushing a sabotless bullet at 2500 fps if I want to .

What weight of bullet? If it is a normal bullet probably not much of a problem...

That is why I said a 'good' barrel