Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Break Open - What Happened to the Omega? >

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I already knew about the action part as I own a Pro Hunter (encore). But the way that was written was making it sound like all new MLers that are smokeless capable were on track for 4473 paperwork. I guess since 80% of the smokeless capable ones out there are built on cartridge based actions and can be converted to that with a simple barrel swap is the reason.
Its not complicated to understand.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savage MLII, NULA and new Cooper are all loosely based on a CF action but no form 4473 is required. None are easily converted to a cartridge either. The original Savage MLI however can be converted. It had locking lugs and the action was virtually identical to a Savage 308 action. Change a couple parts and boom you got a 308 single shot bolt action rifle.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know the first version of the Savage needed a 4473, but that was changed fast.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two hunting rifles; both are falling block. During the rifle season i carry a 6.5mm falling block rifle, designed, and built by Eben Brown, and sold at eabco.com.

The photo shows Eben' rifle next to my X7. The X7 i carry during the muzzle loader season. The rifles are so very very similar in how they operate, and how they carry. Eben' rifle has a way better trigger, and is a way more accurate. Just today it shot a 1 1/8" 200 yard group, and from time to time does better yet.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Just today it shot a 1 1/8" 200 yard group, and from time to time does better yet.

The gun does better, or the shooter does better?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

I just hugged my X7 and am thankful I got one!!!
Old 01-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The X7 is a wonderful hunting rifle. Many deer, and one coyote have fallen to mine. It is the only rifle i use during the muzzle loader season. Yes, i like the way it feels, and i like the way it looks, and i like how it shoots. It is wonderful to carry. To me, the action is what a muzzle loader action, should be. When available, i started shooting Blackhorn in the X7, i had no idea there were ignition issues with the powder, because it shot as well as any powder. The 'learning curve' for shooting Blackhorn, didn't apply to me, and my rifle. Holding the X7 makes me happy.

Eben' breech loading falling block is just as nice to carry as the X7. It is like a 'refined' X7. To me, it seems like it could be easily converted to a muzzle loader, and would be a great one. The trigger, one doesn't so much pull, but just place some pressure on, when the sight looks right, and there is no over travel. Lock time seems like a jillionth of a second. This rifle has a match barrel, and accuracy is so very very good. Shooting this rifle, what with the trigger, feel, and accuracy, is 'thrilling'.