Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Break Open - What Happened to the Omega? >

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM
1874sharpsshooter

And my smokeless capable customs required no ffl

Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well around here in commie land (Illinois) you have to go through an FFL to buy a fart in a can. Even real antique MLers are considered a "firearm" and are required to go through an FFL. But from what I have read, according to some new writeup from the ATF, if the firearm in question is smokeless capable then it is 4473 needed.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well around here in commie land (Illinois) you have to go through an FFL to buy a fart in a can. Even real antique MLers are considered a "firearm" and are required to go through an FFL. But from what I have read, according to some new writeup from the ATF, if the firearm in question is smokeless capable then it is 4473 needed.
Please post that new write up.

Since the new Remington Ultimate is not capable nor rated for smokeless you still need to go thru a FFL and complete a 4473. Wonder why?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45

Since the new Remington Ultimate is not capable nor rated for smokeless you still need to go thru a FFL and complete a 4473. Wonder why?
Could it be the action?
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45

Its because that action can be rebarreled for smokeless cartridge use. Same with several other smokeless capable rigs. That's probably the basis for the writeup I saw and just didn't remember that particular passage.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now they all shot equally well by that I mean when I was shooting well I could get them in an inch. When you get near 80 years some things get a bit harder.
I sold my Knights and my Omega because I much prefer my encores an Endeavor 50 and a Pro hunter 45 I still have the Triumph and I still prefer it for stalking as the encores have stainless.
I personally believe that most of the guns mentioned can be made to shoot better than the people can shoot them.
That means that all this talk about bedding and actions has more to do with what people prefer than how the gun actually shoots.
My opinion for what it is worth.

Last edited by lemoyne; 01-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Its because that action can be rebarreled for smokeless cartridge use. Same with several other smokeless capable rigs. That's probably the basis for the writeup I saw and just didn't remember that particular passage.
Yes, so now you are understanding that it is the action and not the barrel. This is nothing new. All actions that can be converted into a center fire gun has to have an ffl. A barrel being rated to handle smokeless pressures has nothing to do with it. So one could build a muzzleloader that can handle smokeless powder and not require an ffl.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already knew about the action part as I own a Pro Hunter (encore). But the way that was written was making it sound like all new MLers that are smokeless capable were on track for 4473 paperwork. I guess since 80% of the smokeless capable ones out there are built on cartridge based actions and can be converted to that with a simple barrel swap is the reason.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I already knew about the action part as I own a Pro Hunter (encore). But the way that was written was making it sound like all new MLers that are smokeless capable were on track for 4473 paperwork. I guess since 80% of the smokeless capable ones out there are built on cartridge based actions and can be converted to that with a simple barrel swap is the reason.
If a smokeless muzzleloader is built on a cartridge based gun it has to go through 4473 paperwork ALREADY. The action is what makes a gun capable or not capable of being a cartridge gun. There are many smokeless muzzleloader out there that are not based on cartridge guns, Remington 700ml is used for a lot of builds and it is NOT a cartridge gun. But it doesn't matter because if it was a cartridge gun you would have to do the paperwork.

I don't know what you read, what you think you read, or where you read it but a barrel being rated as a stronger barrel does in no way make it be required to go through a ffl if it is based on a non-cartridge action.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I sure hope you do a better job testing the gun then you did with the bullets I never heard or seen anything about.

But that's ok, Ron did enough for you
I actually started posting quite a bit on the lehigh 215 ,etc in different twists but you didnt like the shape of the holes among other things . You remember that? Both sabotloader and myself were trying them bullets in different guns and posting results .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.