Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Break Open - What Happened to the Omega? >

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sabot, the only problem I have ever had out of my TC PH is the fact of having to run fairly hot loads for it to group worth a dang. Of course that was after I accurized it with Mikes deal. It shot "okay" right off the rack but once I did that kit on it she woke up and got all happy n stuff I consider 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards pretty sporty myself You saw the results at 150 on that cold clean bore test I did a while back.

I didn't get that for ease of cleaning since I don't consider cleaning anything difficult on anything really. I got it for ease of loading. These meat hooks of mine that people call hands make loading up other various kinds of actions difficult at best, dang near impossible with some. I wanted to stay away from anything I would have to use a priming tool with since it would be just my luck to leave that tool on the bench when I needed it most.
Did you ever shoot an Omega? And again when I say I would prefer an Omega - I am suggesting a Modern Day Omega with the upgrades of the some of the thing Grouse talked about. Still the older Omega was not that bad of rifle...

I imagine one today with a tooless, BP a better stock, a reall adjustable trigger with a slightly larger trigger guard, although I never had a problem at all with the old one once the hammer was pulled back. O that is another one a trigger safety versus a half cock safety...

Good gun!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Banned

well if you all are remembering the old days and the omega, it should only take a few more years for you to get with the program and get back to the Hawken
Old 01-22-2016, 12:43 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I like my SS omega and my custom omega . I do admit I am not a fan of the cheaper z5 omega . The x7 was nice , I almost forgot it.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
well if you all are remembering the old days and the omega, it should only take a few more years for you to get with the program and get back to the Hawken
naw - never really liked the Hawkens - to fancy I am a Renegade guy - got a bunch of those...

This is my favorite...

Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I got an idea. Instead of you designing a new break open you should design a drop action instead .I will review it for you if you send me a free one for testing .
Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now😂
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now😂
And with the demise of the Omega there are no drop actions in production.you would have the whole market . Just don't forget a fast twist version also

Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
And with the demise of the Omega there are no drop actions in production.you would have the whole market . Just don't forget a fast twist version also
I would prefer a 45 but the 50 would be more popular for sure. It would be a 1/24 twist to accomadate the sabot guys and full bore guys.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a bad idea. The breech plug was weak in the Omega/Encore. Nobody noticed because it didn't matter with 777 and Pyrodex. But that's an easy fix. The hammer needs redesigned so it's more user friendly. We could put a second lug in it and bed the lugs then float the barrel to keep the weight down. You got me thinking now��
Combine that with a tool-less 17-4 breech plug and better receiver to stock fit and Wha-Lha - you could a have a perfect everyday ML for a majority of ML hunters - probably affordable also...

I know you are not going to like this... but - how many target shooters or snipers do you see shooting a braking rifle... Actually home hunting rifles do you see that break open?

Shotguns - different story!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:55 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I would prefer a 45 but the 50 would be more popular for sure. It would be a 1/24 twist to accomadate the sabot guys and full bore guys.
50 cal 1:24. 45 cal 1:20 put me down for one of each

Old 01-22-2016, 12:55 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Oops never mind I want a free one for testing plus it was my idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.