Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Break Open - What Happened to the Omega? >

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Break Open - What Happened to the Omega?

Well most of you know I am not a fan of a Break Open - rifle or ML - trap shotgun OK...

But as I sit here I realize the Break Open is the way of most of the the people out there. Mainly I think as they are perceived as easy to clean....

But then I think about the different BO opens I have had - Triumph-Vision and the Optima that a friend has - none of those did I really like or care fore.

But I did have 3 different Omega's - if I were going to be saddled with a non-bolt rifle that rifle truly would have been my choice. In fact I really in away wish I had one still.

But anyway had TC chose to keep that in the line up today and they progressed the rifle to the modern standards of today with a tool-less BP and a real adjustable trigger and of course a true BH shooter - I really wonder where it might stack up.

No hinges to worry about a one piece solid stock for a shooting platform - gosh it was just a good rifle.

So why did TC drop that rifle?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM
1874sharpsshooter

I tend to agree.I like the drop action more than the break action. That's one reason my custom build was done with an omega

Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trigger guard on the Omega was a big problem for a lot of people. The trigger itself was not that great on the Omega either. The Omega is the only ML I've ever seen were a barrel got shot out. But I will say, T/C replaced it at no charge. Another problem was, it seemed like they all need bedded to get good accuracy. That's just a few things I could remember.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know where there is a brand new Z5 omega for sale if someone is looking. If you are just post on here. I'm sure that person will contact you.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The trigger guard on the Omega was a big problem for a lot of people. The trigger itself was not that great on the Omega either. The Omega is the only ML I've ever seen were a barrel got shot out. But I will say, T/C replaced it at no charge. Another problem was, it seemed like they all need bedded to get good accuracy. That's just a few things I could remember.
well even with that they were better than the Triumph! and of course every thing you mentioned is an easy fix. I shot the heck out of one of Omega's never had a problem other than a stock problem and that was super easy to fix. O' the QLA surely could have down with out that...

But still by far I would be more inclined to get a used SS Omega vs. a new break open.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:10 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
well even with that they were better than the Triumph! and of course every thing you mentioned is an easy fix. I shot the heck out of one of Omega's never had a problem other than a stock problem and that was super easy to fix. O' the QLA surely could have down with out that...

But still by far I would be more inclined to get a used SS Omega vs. a new break open.
Definitely !!!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader

What don't you like about the Triumph? I've owned a bunch of them. The speed breech always worked as expected. I don't think I had any problems with the finish. I did have some delays with BH209 but I don't think that would happen with mag primers. I really like the Triumph compared to break opens. I don't classify the Omega as a break open but I know most probably do.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabot, the only problem I have ever had out of my TC PH is the fact of having to run fairly hot loads for it to group worth a dang. Of course that was after I accurized it with Mikes deal. It shot "okay" right off the rack but once I did that kit on it she woke up and got all happy n stuff I consider 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards pretty sporty myself You saw the results at 150 on that cold clean bore test I did a while back.

I didn't get that for ease of cleaning since I don't consider cleaning anything difficult on anything really. I got it for ease of loading. These meat hooks of mine that people call hands make loading up other various kinds of actions difficult at best, dang near impossible with some. I wanted to stay away from anything I would have to use a priming tool with since it would be just my luck to leave that tool on the bench when I needed it most.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

What don't you like about the Triumph? I've owned a bunch of them. The speed breech always worked as expected. I don't think I had any problems with the finish. I did have some delays with BH209 but I don't think that would happen with mag primers. I really like the Triumph compared to break opens. I don't classify the Omega as a break open but I know most probably do.
I do not like a two piece stock and or a hinge in any rifle... For me everything about the Omega was better than the Triumph. Now today if the Omega were modernized it would even be that much better. So when I say an Omega - I mean an Omega of today not an Omega of OLD - but even they are not that bad.... They must be strong enough and accurate enough - BESTILL uses the Omega for his smokeless re-builds versus the Triumph. The drop action is a lot less prone to mechanical failure or wear out. Like they say the Omega was just a better rifle and I mean that literally it was a rifle.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-22-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I got an idea. Instead of you designing a new break open you should design a drop action instead .I will review it for you if you send me a free one for testing .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.