Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Elite

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Knight Disc Elite

Just took delivery of a used Disc Elite 50 in "like new" condition and am happy to say, "it is". It is currently FPJ and I would like to set up NFPJ using the adapter and Lehigh breech plug with replaceable vent liner. I've done quite a bit of "surfing" and am unclear as to whether these components can be purchased new. Anyone been down this road lately?
Old 01-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by yeoman
Just took delivery of a used Disc Elite 50 in "like new" condition and am happy to say, "it is". It is currently FPJ and I would like to set up NFPJ using the adapter and Lehigh breech plug with replaceable vent liner. I've done quite a bit of "surfing" and am unclear as to whether these components can be purchased new. Anyone been down this road lately?
Knight no longer offers the specific option you are talking about. They do offer the conversion but it is using the Mountaineer Style bolt with NFPJ breech plug but the vent liner is solid in place. Because of the Mountaineer bolt a primer adapter is not needed.

You may find one of the older Lehigh conversions on the net someplace or some one that hqs one and is willing to sell one. Lehigh is not building the conversion for re-sale at this time.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great rifle! You are gonna love it

The Lehigh plug hasn't been available retail for a while. Knight had their own version with the adapter/plug, but for some reason they are no longer selling that setup, they have now changed over to the bolt/plug option. The bolt housing takes the primer directly now, no adapter piece needed. I know some places online did sell the Knight version adapter/plug, but not sure who might have one.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I see the Mountaineer bolt/plug is $99 or 600 FPJ's. I'm as interested in the replaceable vent liners as I am in eliminating the jackets. I don't suppose there is a plug with replaceable vent liner for FPJ Disc rifles?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I see the Mountaineer bolt/plug is $99 or 600 FPJ's. I'm as interested in the replaceable vent liners as I am in eliminating the jackets. I don't suppose there is a plug with replaceable vent liner for FPJ Disc rifles?
No there is not but you can get a BP with a solid vent liner - use it till it goes bad then drill and tap it -then install a removeable vent liner.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

That's a good idea. I have the tools to do that. Any thoughts on the vented FPJ plugs and their effectiveness in reducing blowback? Can that plug be drilled/tapped?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good idea. I have the tools to do that. Any thoughts on the vented FPJ plugs and their effectiveness in reducing blowback? Can that plug be drilled/tapped?
The FPJ wlll most always be dirty vented or non-vented because the jacket stretches and lets low back out... Go with the NFPJ for a cleaner breech area.

Also remember the vent liner is hardened you will need a #21 carbide bit to drill the vent liner out.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

I guess whether it can be drilled and tapped may depend on its construction. Are the flash holes drilled, tapped, vent installed, then brazed? If so, I understand why you said "solid" in your reply and drilling out a vented plug could be problematic.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I replied to my own reply but before I hit send, you got between me. Lol
I get it now.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The brazed vent liner is a dome headed screw. What i do is use a 7/16" carbide end mill to remove the dome. Then i use a 1/4" end mill for about 1/8" deep, which is a start on removing the part of the vent liner below the dome. The next tool i use is a 9/64" drill all the way through the vent liner. Then i use a 82 degree 3/8" carbide spot drill to cut away what remains of the vent liner. Then i use a 5/32" drill through the remnant of the threads, and through the flame channel. This may or may not leave pieces of the vent liner in the threads. Then a 10-32 tap is used to clean up the threads.

The vent liner is extremely hard, and is hard on tools. It would be so very much better if Knight would sell these breech plugs without vent liners. Adding a vent liner to a plug without a vent liner is trivially easy, but removing the brazed vent liner can end up being quite costly.

Me, i am no machinist, so perhaps a real machinist could do the work more better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.