Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1/20 Disc Range Report >

1/20 Disc Range Report

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1/20 Disc Range Report

Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default 1/20 Disc Range Report

Our antlerless deer season ends today without me having a the inclination to go after one. ( wanted to watch the Chiefs yesterday... bad idea in hindsight and too cold today ) So, I went to the range yesterday.

First, I've had a load of 90 grains BH 209, 10 mm, 200 grain Bloodline loaded on two primer pops and Lockease. It's been loaded and in the garage for 3 weeks since my last hunt. It was right on for POI which was not a surprise but good to know. Clean as a whistle after cleaning BTW.

Just for fun, I brought some of Ed's 465 grain 451 conicals. I pushed them with 75 grains of T7 3F at 75 yards

I swabbed after shots 1 and 3. Strange to see the one flyer and it's way out there? I don't think I jerked it and the clean barrel for #4 had no influence?

Anyone with a 1/20 45 should have some of these in their arsenal.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that is good stuff. Odd about #2, I agree. That one ragged hole is pretty sweet though! Little bit more kick on those wasn't there

So with the lock ease, refresh me on your method of using it? I am going to try it in the spring... I have a couple that give me that flyer.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Yeah, that is good stuff. Odd about #2, I agree. That one ragged hole is pretty sweet though! Little bit more kick on those wasn't there

So with the lock ease, refresh me on your method of using it? I am going to try it in the spring... I have a couple that give me that flyer.
Number 2 really isn't odd to me when using lead bullets. They are so easily deformed if your not careful loading or handling them.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to see my bullets are still shooting well for you. Your grouping is pretty typical of what I and others get with rifles from a 1-20 to 1-30 twist bbls. Also depending on what White I shoot either 70 or 75gr of 777-3F seems to work best for me as well. As soon as the weather breaks a little I'm going to some Swiss 3F. I use to shoot Swiss, but its been so long I forget what load I was using.

I guess what Grouse said could happen, but with the wide flat metaplat I don't think that happened, but who knows. Sometimes the ML God's just like to mess things up on us. GRIN
Old 01-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Glad to see my bullets are still shooting well for you. Your grouping is pretty typical of what I and others get with rifles from a 1-20 to 1-30 twist bbls. Also depending on what White I shoot either 70 or 75gr of 777-3F seems to work best for me as well. As soon as the weather breaks a little I'm going to some Swiss 3F. I use to shoot Swiss, but its been so long I forget what load I was using.

I guess what Grouse said could happen, but with the wide flat metaplat I don't think that happened, but who knows. Sometimes the ML God's just like to mess things up on us. GRIN
Ed, with your bullets I wouldn't recommend 3F. I'd go with 2F and keep it between 65-75 grains load. 3F, for me anyway, does well with bullets in the 200-300 grain range and anything over that the 2F performs best.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dos White used to recommend Pyro P over RS. At the inline matches though his team used Swiss in the later years with the 40s and the "Varminter" rifle. His bullets were pretty much heavy for caliber all the time.

All i use is Swiss 3FG and BH209 even with conicals. BH209 seems to work fine if the conical is sized correctly and a fiber wad is used. 70gr worked well with Ed's 350gr and NE 460gr conicals. 80gr also worked well with the 460gr but i would not advise going over than. Recoil gets pretty stiff when pushing a 460gr bullet over 1400fps.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-18-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love those 465's. When I get a flyer like #2 I always wonder if the felt wad somehow got cocked during the loading process.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I love those 465's. When I get a flyer like #2 I always wonder if the felt wad somehow got cocked during the loading process.
No wads for me. I was shooting them naked at the time.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

My Lockease Strategy:

From storage I wet swab ( alcohol and wiper fluid ) the oil out.
Dry Swab it good and dry
Apply Lockease to a patch and run it in good.
Then, after the Lockease drys, minutes to weeks later, I pop a couple of primers and load on top.

It has really helped me with my flyers. I suppose my cleaning and storage technique causes the flyers but they are a problem for me.

I use BC Bore Scrubber to clean and BC Barricade for storage BTW. Love everything about it but the flyers
Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Guess I need to shoot some of Ed's lead that I have now....

BTW 80gr of T73Fg is my go to load with the .451/480 Bullshop. I have killed two deer with that load now for several seasons. Most are DRT or within sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.