HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Why did you buy your current muzzle loader? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/403806-why-did-you-buy-your-current-muzzle-loader.html)

MountainDevil54 01-12-2016 10:55 AM

Why did you buy your current muzzle loader?

It seems that some folks on here think such and such gun is only good because such and such shoots it in such and such competition each year.

Did you buy your current muzzle loader because its a brand used at a shooting competition or because it fit your build, fit your budget, fit the overall needs of a hunter?

Me personally, its always about fit. I've handled many muzzies that felt totally awkward when shoulder, sights didnt line up, working the action felt funky, even had one rifle which had a very curved trigger which caused you to work your hand into an uncomfortable position so you could squeeze it correctly.

Accuracy these days IMO isn't an issue with any of the current muzzle loader brands.

Trigger pull can vary as with any firearm.

Clean shooting? Ehhhh.... I like my inlines to shoot clean but when it comes to a flintlock of percussion, its something you have to live with. They all need to be cleaned so why complain? Put on a good movie or music that relaxes you and take your time.

sbuff 01-12-2016 11:17 AM

It's a white,nothing more needs to be said.

1874sharpsshooter 01-12-2016 11:22 AM

Because of reputation and after that because of my personal experience shooting different brands . After tons of muzzleloaders and 35 years of shooting them i formed a personal preference that influences my buying .

flounder33 01-12-2016 11:26 AM

I shoot more than one brand. I have shot a fair number of different rifles and have stayed with the ones I enjoy shooting the most.

cayugad 01-12-2016 11:29 AM

Mine was an impulse purchase. I saw it on sale and since I did not own one ... it came home with me.

Semisane 01-12-2016 11:31 AM

Why did you purchase your current muzzleloader? Shoulden't that be muzzleloaders? :s2: My current muzzleloader is actually a stable of about a dozen.

If you intend to mean the most recently purchased muzzleloader, the reason is because I can't seem to pass up a used muzzleloader at a good price and I like shooting different guns.

Gm54-120 01-12-2016 11:46 AM

Yep, i got 4 different brands atm. I bought them because the way they shoot and i liked the quality. I like the fact that they are not imports and the vast majority of the money from their sales stayed here.

I don't care for unproven slogans.

BarnesAddict 01-12-2016 12:10 PM

I bought my last muzzleloader for a couple reasons. First, I was getting bored with most rifles. Second, I wanted the ability to hunt and shoot accurately at longer ranges. Third, I bought the rifle because of its reputation as a long range accurate hunting muzzleloader, its complete custom quality and reliability. Not because it was easier or harder. I found it does exactly as advertised.

Muley Hunter 01-12-2016 12:21 PM

I wanted one since I first saw one in the 70's. I believe it to be an exact copy of an 1830's gun, and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh wait! That's the woman next door that gives me the warm fuzzy feeling.

1874sharpsshooter 01-12-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4239132)
I wanted one since I first saw one in the 70's. I believe it to be an exact copy of an 1830's gun, and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh wait! That's the woman next door that gives me the warm fuzzy feeling.

Probably a leaky bladder is whats giving you that feeling 😀