Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are they a better gun??? >

Are they a better gun???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
that strike reminds me of the pedersoli brutis or something along that line. One ugly clunky mother.
The worst ML I've ever used. But that's just me. A lot of people like them
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The weather is terrible, and that's the way I like it. But, a little to bad for some 200 yard shooting. I have the Chronagraphs with me but it's been snowing to hard. Will do more next weekend.

The impact was the only one out of the three to shoot the 225grn FTX well. The other two hated them. All the groups posted are with the 250grn Bloodlines. I'm done waisting Brass, I will finish the testing with the 250grn FTX bullets.

Last edited by Grouse45; 01-17-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
That Impact is still shooting excellent.
Didn't look like it liked the 370gr maxi balls at all! My PH barrel requires me to have to powder up to an uncomfortable level to shoot those worth diddly. 370gr Maxi with 100gr T7 is NOT a pleasure to shoot I can assure you! I haven't tried any connies or maxis since I switched to BH. Maybe I could get lower on the charge weight with it and it won't bring on the stars and hotdogs circling my head after each shot
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as recoil, the Strike handled it the best. The MR was second and the Impact was third. The impact is so light and short it's hard for me to handle properly. As I said before, to me it's made for small frame people.

As far as primers being clean after firing, the Strike wins easily. The MR second, and the impact third. The impact was really wet around the breech. I'm not sure if it was soaked with oil or what. I should of cleaned it before shooting. Since it was shot before, I did not clean like I did the other two. I need to pay more attention to this next weekend when it's cleaned before hand.

As far as balance the MR wins to me. The impact being so short and light balances well to. The Strike was third in this category. I will say none were bad at all.

As far as looks feel and fit, the MR wins easily for me. The impact second and the strike third. The impact is nice looking, just doesn't fit me well. The strike is just plain ugly and I'm not a fan of it.

As far as the hammer and safety the MR and Impact tie for first. The strike safety/ is terrible. Very hard to push forward, I hate it.

The trigger is really good in the MR and Impact. But I give the MR first, and the Impact second. The trigger in the Strike was terrible.

Breech plug design for all powders. Well the Impact wins this easily. I love the Strike design, but got a lot more testing to do with it. The MR is last by far. False statements by CVA, and not good instruction with BH209 plug from CVA. But the MR does have a very good tool less plug, and a fine BH209 plug. The down side is head spacing the BH209 plug to your gun, that should be done at the factory and one plug good for all powders.

Accuracy, though all were accurate, the Impact wins with sabots at 100 and 150 yards. I new this before I ever shot it. Those familiar with Omega's, the Impact is close to the same design but in a break open. The Striker second and MR third.

I'm going to do more testing with these three and also add the T/C Triumph for next weekend.

So far, if you factor everything in the testing today including price, the T/C Impact smokes them all. But if you don't look at price and quality, I prefer the MR today. The Strike has a lot of good features but so far It's not for me.

I did want to mention supplied Ramrods. I hear people complaining about the palm saver CVA has. I absolutely love the rod and palm saver on the MR. I wish all Muzzleloader's had those. The Striker and Impact are about the same. The MR easily wins this!!

Last edited by Grouse45; 01-17-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Didn't look like it liked the 370gr maxi balls at all! My PH barrel requires me to have to powder up to an uncomfortable level to shoot those worth diddly. 370gr Maxi with 100gr T7 is NOT a pleasure to shoot I can assure you! I haven't tried any connies or maxis since I switched to BH. Maybe I could get lower on the charge weight with it and it won't bring on the stars and hotdogs circling my head after each shot
I hated shooting those conicals 😉
Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Very good report grouse looking forward to more.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Tom! Looking forward to more!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

why not get a limb saver slip on recoil pad for the impact? It will give you about another 1 1/4" LOP
Old 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
why not get a limb saver slip on recoil pad for the impact? It will give you about another 1 1/4" LOP
Because he is setting it up for my daughter who somehow, unlike my other 4 kids, inherited her mothers little stature. That rifle is perfectly suited for her body frame. But your idea would be perfect for someone of average-larger than average size. That rifle would also be good for someone in the late seasons when it is colder than a polar bears bum out there with 5 layers of clothes on. That would probably make it the perfect LOP.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

SH - I'm talking about the one that has the rubber boot that slips over the stock. It can be put on and taken off in seconds. I have one I use when shooting my big bores to tame the recoil a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.