Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are they a better gun??? >

Are they a better gun???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Banned

Hows about another challenge? I can unscrew my QRBP faster than grouse can unscrew his knights with his fingers?

A good deal of misguided comparisons already, but I'll give it plenty of time. No need to rush things.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
After reading this, its my opinion you should go slow and actually take the time to learn each rifle and work with them often before opening your "mouth".

Over the years ive said that I like this and that and had to take some of that back due to things happening down the road that had a negative affect on me. Blackhorn209 solvent was a big one. RCBS chronograph was another huge mistake i learned my lesson on THREE times.

One must learn to actually slow down and give a true honest review with the good and bad.

But at the end of the day, I'll take that $180 ( at the time) Wolf of mine and out shoot those $900 knights
Instead of one of those 900 dollar knights how's about you take on a simple little old $600 TC Pro Hunter? (was what I paid for it at the time) I mean really, I'll be 70 in a couple months so surely your young eyes can out shoot an old man Shall we say 300 yards? Keep it simple and shoot an 8 inch gong off hand no support? My knee is pretty much healed up now and that "junker" TC has been screaming at me to go shoot her. Surely you would have better odds against an old man using a rifle that is so much inferior Especially better odds than you would have against Sharp Shooter considering he could beat most on here using a dang sling shot
Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

in that case, lets make it interesting and i'll use my hawken as I know the ballistics better at 300 yards with that rifle
Old 01-12-2016, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a shooting challenge worth traveling to watch. A Wolf out shooting a Knight at range?

How about you challengers meet up on April 30, 2016, at the in-line match at the NMLRA grounds in Friendship, IN?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

One thing all companies do.
They Use the English language to Trademark Words to market/sell their products!

Not only is a this battle of firearms it is a battle of words to sell said firearms.

Coin a phrase that stays with the public and have it trade marked and it is a very hard thing to beat in the long run!

Like "Where's the Baggy" or give me a "Zip-lock" whic both are brand specific plastic seal-able bags which many different companies manufacture - but there is only ONE real Zip-lock Manufacturer and only One real Baggy Manufacturer. The Ziplock Manufacturer had to over come "Hey give me a Baggy!" phrase.
Or the Term Give me some "RAID!" or Off! and I bet you all know those brands well.

And there are other brands out there like that too! We all know them.

And for what it is worth!

The title of this thread was negative from the get go. It is One against many!

The term "Just a better gun!"

From all the negative comments posted from the past posts by the many Authors/Posters/HNI Members, the outcome is rather clear to me and the results have not been finished yet.

Quick Release Breech Plugs for instance. If I need to use a tool it is not quick in my thinking. But then again having half the size when compared side to side with have the amount of pipe threads there - well I can see a difference. Is it quick?

And like others here I have both Tooled breach plugs and Hand removal. I prefer hand removal far better than using a tool which so far has been removed by hand.

And - Half the time I forget where I put the dang tool for my other inline firearms! I can walk downstairs with that tool in my hand grab my cup of coffee and that tool is gone! I tell ya my house if full of gremlins.

So at best let Grouse continue his experiment.
Just remember this is one person's opinion.

We can agree/refute/provide additional evidence or rebuttal to his findings. State your piece and reason why. But keep it current. This comparison is with "Today's" current manufactured muzzle loading inlines and not way back when!

Again FWIW
Dave.....JW
Old 01-12-2016, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
One thing all companies do.
They Use the English language to Trademark Words to market/sell their products!

Not only is a this battle of firearms it is a battle of words to sell said firearms.

Coin a phrase that stays with the public and have it trade marked and it is a very hard thing to beat in the long run!

Like "Where's the Baggy" or give me a "Zip-lock" whic both are brand specific plastic seal-able bags which many different companies manufacture - but there is only ONE real Zip-lock Manufacturer and only One real Baggy Manufacturer. The Ziplock Manufacturer had to over come "Hey give me a Baggy!" phrase.
Or the Term Give me some "RAID!" or Off! and I bet you all know those brands well.

And there are other brands out there like that too! We all know them.

And for what it is worth!

The title of this thread was negative from the get go. It is One against many!

The term "Just a better gun!"

From all the negative comments posted from the past posts by the many Authors/Posters/HNI Members, the outcome is rather clear to me and the results have not been finished yet.

Quick Release Breech Plugs for instance. If I need to use a tool it is not quick in my thinking. But then again having half the size when compared side to side with have the amount of pipe threads there - well I can see a difference. Is it quick?

And like others here I have both Tooled breach plugs and Hand removal. I prefer hand removal far better than using a tool which so far has been removed by hand.

And - Half the time I forget where I put the dang tool for my other inline firearms! I can walk downstairs with that tool in my hand grab my cup of coffee and that tool is gone! I tell ya my house if full of gremlins.

So at best let Grouse continue his experiment.
Just remember this is one person's opinion.

We can agree/refute/provide additional evidence or rebuttal to his findings. State your piece and reason why. But keep it current. This comparison is with "Today's" current manufactured muzzle loading inlines and not way back when!

Again FWIW
Dave.....JW
JW,
The title came about watching the Outdoor channel. I kept hearing CVA is just a better gun. So I decided to take it upon myself to find out compared to the other manufactures. Early in the thread Muley was getting really defensive and saying the thread is biased or something like that. Now you got MD back who doesn't even know what CVA recommends or the safety consequences of not following the correct load data.

So like you stated above, it's not a fair test at all for CVA. Out of all the Muzzleloaders that are being tested the CVA is the only one that you cant take out of the box and reliably shoot BH209. So right off the bat, the breech plug is not a very good ignition source.

Secondly, when you do order a better breech plug like BH209 compatible, when that plug comes back it doesn't fit the gun. You need a tool or pliers to properly get the breech plug to fit the gun. Now all of a sudden the breech plug is no longer tool less. And you also need to use o rings or adjust head spacing another way im not familiar with yet for cleanliness.

Another problem is the barrel threads in the Bergara barrel. They seem to be shallow and weak. Im sending this barrel to a highly known/respected rifle company to check these out for me. It seems like I understand why such a long threaded breech plug now.

Another problem is when the MR is scoped. You really cant safely use the hammer system. I think a fix would be a shorter scope and I have not done that yet. There are so many things against this gun compared to others it will not be tested with the other guns.

JW,
Thanks for your post, I agree with just about everything. I will start a new thread with the other guns and probably name it why you shouldn't by a CVA. This $200.00 T/C impact is amazingly designed. Almost like an Omega in a break action. The T/C strike is ugly, but I love the breach plug design. And the Triumph has always been my favorite break open, but I think that's gonna change soon.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wrong in so many ways grouse. It's just what I expected from this thread.

It was never going to be a fair test. It was going to be CVA against the rest and with bias from the tester.

It's just a lame way to bash CVA again. Nothing new to see here folks.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

I would like you to keep the CVA in the test and report just what you see on every gun you test and look at them all in the same way and pick them over the same. by the way this is your test and if someone what's to do there test they can buy all the guns and test them there self. just be fair and happy smoking.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Wrong in so many ways grouse. It's just what I expected from this thread.

It was never going to be a fair test. It was going to be CVA against the rest and with bias from the tester.

It's just a lame way to bash CVA again. Nothing new to see here folks.
The gun has not even been tested yet. And it won't be tested on this forum. So you got no worries. Everything I've said about the gun so far you already know. And if you don't know, you've never owned one or shot one.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

How can I have hope for a fair test when you've nit picked the CVA and praised the rest of the guns and the test hasn't even started yet?

btw How is the hammer hard to work on the CVA when it comes with a hammer spur? Why not mention the Triumph that has no spur, and is hard to work with no scope. That's been mentioned in many reviews on the gun, but skipped by you.

This is so ridiculous. I hope everybody see's this for what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.