Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are they a better gun??? >

Are they a better gun???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

No wrench is even less of no big deal.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When Blackhorn first was available the Omega is the rifle i used it in. Never once did i experience any ignition problems. Now, these years later, i still use Blackhorn in my Omega(s). Never once have i experienced an ignition problem in an Omega. There was period of time when i did not realize folks were experiencing ignition issues when shooting Blackhorn.

Thinking i should try the Triumph, and see how it worked for me, i purchased one. Blackhorn ignition was perfect for me in that rifle. However, i read where some experienced delay in colder weather. This had me load the Triumph, and leave it outside overnight in -10 temperatures, and colder. This i did several times. The rifle worked just fine. However, one morning, there was an imperceptible delay, and i had to think a bit, and ask my self if there was a delay, or did i imagine it. A couple days later, i noticed a so very slight delay, so i decided to do something to the breech plug. This i did just for fun, because the delay was almost not noticeable, and i didn't need it fixed, because i would never hunt with the rifle in -10 temperatures.

What i did was install a vent liner, and move it toward the primer some. This shortened the flame channel some. The diameter of the flame channel was left at 1/8" except for the length of the vent liner. This cured all ignition issues in the Triumph.

Yes, i keep reading that the flame channel should be enlarged, if one wants a better plug for igniting Blackhorn. This is not true. Any plug can be used to ignite Blackhorn with a 1/8" flame channel, if it is designed correctly. However, i do like to enlarge the flame channel to 5/32". The larger flame channel has a larger volume, which reduces the pressure on the primer. This i believe is a good thing. The larger flame channel also allows one to shoot more shots without worrying about carbon build.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No wrench is even less of no big deal.
Kinda like - a TC QR plug
Old 01-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Kinda like - a TC QR plug
Or the Traditions Accelerator plug that is supposed to work with all powders too and comes as standard equipment.

No additional plug or special tool to buy.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

We've nit picked this subject to death.

Are we done?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snow storm coming in Friday night. That's awesome, I'll have the range to myself.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

After I went to the range last weekend I brought all guns home and cleaned out the breech plugs. Sunday night I took all guns and put them in a shack outside my son used to play in. They were all loaded with 110grns by volume of BH209 and a 225grn FTX bullet. About all those bullets are good for is to waist anyway. So when I got home tonight I went back and grabbed those guns and brought them in the heated house. Immediately those guns started sweating and the scopes were totally fogged. I went and ate some supper and decided to shoot them off. The Impact went right off, and the Strike went right off. Then I shot the MR and it had a very very slight delay. But I don't understand why??? The plug was Rons modified plug and is perfect for BH209.

One thing I did not do with the MR was put a primer in it. The other two guns had a primer in it while in the shack in pretty cold temps. A couple nights were -4. You think that's why I had the slight delay? I want to do the same thing again, but put primers in all of them. But one side of me thinks I shouldn't put a primer in any of them. If I brought the guns home from hunting, I would not leave primers in them. But I also would probably not bring them in the house either.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Banned

I cut an old ear plug thinner and put it in there and close up the gun.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Leave the primers out. Like you said your not gonna transport a loaded gun or keep it primed inside your truck or shed. Keep all the rifles the same way then you will know for sure if there is a hangfire in one vs the others.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I keep some fired primers and use them to keep the moisture out. I checked with the local game warden and he said that was ok. That is in AR different states have different rules, here we can not have a muzzle loader in fire able condition in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.