Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA breech plug question >

CVA breech plug question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA breech plug question

Old 01-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
.......Theres no denying it ron. The plugs threads were trash and something you find in the bulk bolt bin at the store when they crash around into each other......
They certainly weren't pretty. Me, i didn't, and don't think they were trash, because the plug threaded readily into my old Accura. One thing is sure, i wasn't overly concerned about cosmetics. It was so thrilling for me, to be able to actually make a breech plug, that worked. Yes, i will admit to being young and dumb back then.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

About time I showed and explained my version of a wrench for setting up a BH 209 BP.

Look at the pliers. The bottom of the handles (there's two of them) fit into the slot in the BP just like the proper BP wrench does.

Screw the new BP as far as it will go by hand. Then put the pliers handle in the BP slot. Open up the pliers so you have leverage to tighten the BP. Tighten as hard as you can until the BP bottoms on the barrel. This sets the BP for just your barrel and will keep the threads clean. Back off the BP with pliers, and then from then on just tighten it with forefinger and thumb. It all the pressure it needs, and will come off easily. Lube with anti-seize lube for all powder and pellets except for BH 209. With Bh 209 the threads in the barrel and on the BP can be left bone dry. No lube needed.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, western powders is sold out. Where can I buy a BH209 plug for a Accura MR??
Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Cabelas or Bass Pro website, or go to one of their stores if you live near one.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ram2
Cabelas or Bass Pro website, or go to one of their stores if you live near one.

You'll find the CVA version in those places. The Western version is harder to find.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you tried Carlos yet?

Who is this for? I'm sure you didn't buy a CVA.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Have you tried Carlos yet?

Who is this for? I'm sure you didn't buy a CVA.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

The muzzle-loaders.com web site says they have both the CVA regular stainless and black coated stainless BH 2009 breech plugs in stock. The description for both say they come with an installation wrench, although my son ordered one from them a couple of months ago and it did not come with the wrench. You can also install them by wrapping the knurled outer portion with duct tape and using a small pipe wrench or large vice grips.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabinajiles
The muzzle-loaders.com web site says they have both the CVA regular stainless and black coated stainless BH 2009 breech plugs in stock. The description for both say they come with an installation wrench, although my son ordered one from them a couple of months ago and it did not come with the wrench. You can also install them by wrapping the knurled outer portion with duct tape and using a small pipe wrench or large vice grips.
I'm assuming that's the CVA version?? From what I'm reading, the Western Powder version is better. That's probably true, I wouldn't expect a good quality plug from CVA.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Western came up with the design to begin with. CVA copied it, but not exactly.

They both work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.