Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
209's sticking in Mountaineer >

209's sticking in Mountaineer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209's sticking in Mountaineer

Old 01-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
One thing I did fail to mention is, the primer gets stuck in the breech plug whenever I close the bolt also, it doesn't have to be fired to be stuck?
Well this brings up another problem... It is real probable that during the heat treating process the plugs goes through - the heat may have caused the diameter of the primer pocket to consticted. There has been cases of this happening. The primer pocket should have a diameter of 0.245". If the walls of the pocket are clean and shiny and the new primer sticks just by putting it in the pocket - there is a great chance it will be stick after shooting a load.

Which primer are you using? nevermind I went back and looked you are shooting a W209 which should just drop and fall out.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-03-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Well this brings up another problem... It is real probable that during the heat treating process the plugs goes through - the heat may have caused the diameter of the primer pocket to consticted. There has been cases of this happening. The primer pocket should have a diameter of 0.245". If the walls of the pocket are clean and shiny and the new primer sticks just by putting it in the pocket - there is a great chance it will be stick after shooting a load.

Which primer are you using? nevermind I went back and looked you are shooting a W209 which should just drop and fall out.
Mike,
This all of a sudden just started for him. Primers like you already know are all over the map on sizes. I think a little JB'S with a qtip around the primer pocket on the plug might do the trick. I seen this on another thread and sounds like a great idea. Or even try I different batch of primers.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I polish the primer pockets with a piece of patch and either JBs or a polishing compound. I do it mainly because carbon does not stick as well to a polished surface. Using the correct dremel bit to spin the patch gets the job done very quickly.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I did fail to mention is, the primer gets stuck in the breech plug whenever I close the bolt also, it doesn't have to be fired to be stuck?
Perhaps there is some debris in the bolt socket where the primer fits. This might possibly prevent the primer from being held the way it is supposed to be. If the primer doesn't go into the breech plug nice and straight, but instead at an angle, it may get 'stuck'. This could be why the issue wasn't present at first, but now is.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Mike,
This all of a sudden just started for him. Primers like you already know are all over the map on sizes. I think a little JB'S with a qtip around the primer pocket on the plug might do the trick. I seen this on another thread and sounds like a great idea. Or even try I different batch of primers.
OK I thought he was saying that primers stick a little bit even when the plug was new! Another problem maybe the recent run of W209 primers. They meet the specs for a shotgun primer but their phsical sized has changed in the most recent lot mumbers.. besides being somewhat shorter they may also be a bit larger in diameter.

Ron may also have a good thought if the primer rails on the face of the bolt are not clean or even dinged.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-03-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
OK I thought he was saying that primers stick a little bit even when the plug was new! Another problem maybe the recent run of W209 primers. They meet the specs for a shotgun primer but their phsical sized has changed in the most recent lot mumbers.. besides being somewhat shorter they may also be a bit larger in diameter.

Ron may also have a good thought if the primer rails on the face of the bolt are not clean or even dinged.
That's a problem for someone that wants to use pressed fitted shims that aren't easily removed in their plug. You get your headspace adjusted correctly but then it is wrong with the next lot of primers. Unless you have a good bit of primers and won't need any for a long time.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, so we're can I buy a BH209 plug for a Accura MR Muzzleloader?
What????????
Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

What????????
Lol, sorry...wrong thread!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, so we're can I buy a BH209 plug for a Accura MR Muzzleloader?
Cabelas should have them. That's were I got mine for my Accura V2
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Stuck 209 primers?
(link)http://www.amazon.com/Darice-3-Inch-Mini-Flat-Pliers/dp/B004WIZF1U (link)http://www.amazon.com/Darice-3-Inch-Mini-Flat-Pliers/dp/B004WIZF1U

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.