Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New gun won't group ideas??? >

New gun won't group ideas???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun won't group ideas???

Old 12-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It has a QLA Bob. Pretty hard to get to the rifling.
Pete,

Yeah. I can see using a rotary stone that just fits inside the QLA. Or, one that doesn't, and dressing it down on another stone. The problem that I see, from looking at pictures of QLAs, is that the shank on the rotary stone might not be long enough to reach, and I would not have confidence that using an adapter to drive the stone would have sufficient concentricity to do a good job. It could have gotten boogered when they cut the QLA.

OldBob
Old 12-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Banned

Much easier to play with sabots than to touch something you can not see or have no experience messing with.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Much easier to play with sabots than to touch something you can not see or have no experience messing with.
MD54,

Sure it is, and a good first check, assuming you have a bunch of different sabots. I saw something like this at the range. This guy was all over the paper at 50 yards. I struck up a conversation, and accompanied him downrange. I found some of his sabots (no idea what kind), and the skirts were blown, bad. As it turned out, he DID have some other sabots, and they worked much better. Its hard for me to see how such a problem would not show up in the other guns, though. And the "sabotless" weren't any better. I suppose a hollowbased bullet like the Hornady Great Plains would be something to try, to, but I doubt it will make a difference.

The OP didn't mention anything about blown skirts. Maybe he wasn't looking, who knows? The thing that gets me, some years ago I played with Lyman's shotshell data, for 12 and 20, plus other sources. I tried to get a good fit, RB/wad/patch, what have you, and out of smoothbore shotguns all the groups were around 2-2 1/2" at 50 yards. I repeat, smoothbore! From what the OP is saying, his rifle is not grouping as well as those shotguns did. This is why I strongly suspect a bad barrel, bad crown, something of that nature.

OldBob
Old 12-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Tried calling cva apparently still on vacation for holidays cmon cva it's still hunting season in some states

Last edited by matt068; 12-29-2015 at 09:35 PM.