Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New gun won't group ideas??? >

New gun won't group ideas???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun won't group ideas???

Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
Agree with the two post above post. Start fresh with some new pellets or better yet, loose powder.

You have a nice gun there.
Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Yeah them Whitehots that are shooting 1-2in groups in the other guns must be bad.
Get loose powder and scrap the White Hots. GM - We don't know when he got those groups? Last year, 2 years ago?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

White hots are brand new scopes were all tight and boresighted tried 3 diff primers really like ease of pellets and shoot awesome out of other guns I don't get it fit and feel of gun are great and I'm meticulous about cleaning my gun swabbed and dryed while sighting in every shot thanks for input just didn't want to deal with loose powder I did notice a bit looser with xtp and harvester sabots than other guns any thoughts on possibly thicker sabot
Old 12-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

yeah you're going to have to play with sabot size. Its kind of like patches when shooting round balls. To thin, it blows, to thick, its hard to load. Sounds like you could use a little experimenting with sabots though.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you say the scope was tight. Did you check the base screws? They aren't tight from the factory.

What about the flame channel?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless that bullet/sabot combination is dropping unaided into the barrel, a 10" group is not going to be because of the sabot. a "looser" fit may cause a group to open up a couple of inches but not to 10". That is a powder or sighting problem. Inconsistent power from the charge or a loose base, rings, or bad scope. Or a bad barrel.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or a plugged flame channel which he hasn't answered yet.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think a plugged flame channel would open up his groups THAT much really before he ended up with misfires. Plus I think he mentioned it was a new gun? I've never used those white hots so I don't know if they close off a channel as quickly as BH does or not. I know I "drill" mine every 10 shots since I switched to BH.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Banned

Ive had some real bad groups with the wrong sabots. A some even worse groups with blown patches. No one can ever say exactly what such and such sabot combo will do in one gun.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Banned

I just re-read this thread to make sure I wasn't duplicating someone else reply. I have an idea: how is the muzzle crown? This is sorta a trick question, because often an imperfect crown is not readily naked-eye visible. What I did a couple of times back in the dark ages was use a fine abrasive rotary stone, spherical or conical, doesn't seem to matter, and twirl it in the muzzle lightly while watching TV. You can feel it smooth out. Problem is, its a new gun, and what I'm suggesting might blow the warranty. I don't know any way that you could prove to the manufacturer that this was the problem.

OldBob
Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

It has a QLA Bob. Pretty hard to get to the rifling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.