HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New gun won't group ideas??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/403460-new-gun-wont-group-ideas.html)

matt068 12-27-2015 02:46 PM

New gun won't group ideas???

My daughter got my trusty traditions when she bagged her first deer with it, gave my son omega after his. I got a cva optima v2 tried my normal load of 100 gr white hots with hornaday xtp 240 gr bullets shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 out of other guns about 10 inches out of this new cva Tried harvester scorpions with recommended sabot per harvester same result even against better judgement tried power belts same 2 different scopes off a bench rest same no matter what gun will not group any suggestions ??????? Help guys gonna throw it out soon

MountainDevil54 12-27-2015 03:31 PM

Could be bad pellets, lord knows I got hit bad with that!

Also, remove the cap on the wrist of the stock thats held on with a single screw. Tighten up that big allen head bolt holding the screw on. I've found plenty of them that were a little loose.

GoexBlackhorn 12-27-2015 03:36 PM

Instead of throwing out the ML, throw out the White Hots...... but safely dispose of them.

Josmund 12-27-2015 04:20 PM

Agree with the two post above post. Start fresh with some new pellets or better yet, loose powder.

You have a nice gun there.

Gm54-120 12-27-2015 05:07 PM

Yeah them Whitehots that are shooting 1-2in groups in the other guns must be bad. :D

falcon 12-27-2015 05:27 PM

Several folks i know have had problems with White Hots. One CVA Mag Hunter would not fire White Hots with Winchester Triple Seven primers.

GoexBlackhorn 12-27-2015 05:32 PM

Seriously, like I stated above..... put aside those White Hots.
Sounds like everyone's been shooting out of the same box of White Hots - taken the entire box on multiple trips to the range and now they're moisture-contaminated.

But instead of buying more White Hot pellets, buy a better powder to use, like Blackhorn 209. If the family wants to continue their success with White Hots pellets, let them buy their own.

I'll bet that new Optima V2 will love Blackhorn 209 and shoot that powder/bullet combo accurately.

sabotloader 12-27-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn (Post 4236125)
Seriously, like I stated above..... put aside those White Hots.
Sounds like everyone's been shooting out of the same box of White Hots - taken the entire box on multiple trips to the range and now they're moisture-contaminated.

But instead of buying more White Hot pellets, buy a better powder to use, like Blackhorn 209. If the family wants to continue their success with White Hots pellets, let them buy their own.

I'll bet that new Optima V2 will love Blackhorn 209 and shoot that powder/bullet combo accurately.

If the V2 has the correct breeh plug! CVA does not provide the correct plug with the rifle... They prefer and suggest that you shoot WhiteHots and the plug is designed for that purpose or any other BP or sub other than BH!

muzzlestuffer 12-27-2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4236128)
If the V2 has the correct breeh plug! CVA does not provide the correct plug with the rifle... They prefer and suggest that you shoot WhiteHots and the plug is designed for that purpose or any other BP or sub other than BH!

boy this sounds familiar ! lol

Muley Hunter 12-27-2015 07:14 PM

Are you swabbing out the crud ring?

Have you used a drill to clean the flame channel in the breech plug?

Did you check the screws on the scope base mount?