Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 12-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Banned

head space adjustment. Takes up all of the blow by that primers can give you. Drop it into the breech plugs primer pocket.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

do they ever fall out ?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Western supplies them for the primer pocket. Not really needed if the head space is set correctly. You can buy a firing pin bushing shim kit for around $5 that is a more permanent solution. O-rings don't last very long but plenty long enough for a average range session or a hunt.
i generally don't like little parts like that could fail or you can lose track of. i like the sound of the shim kit better !thanks for info !
Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
see i didn't even know you needed a different bp for the knight i know about the different primer types for the knight nut this bp powder issue is all new to me.
You don't need a different BP on Knights to ignite blackhorn. The Red FPJ plug works, so does the NFPJ (bare primer). Its a difference of which setup do you want. Most on Knights seem to like the bare primer plug, but it will work fine with the FPJ plug also if that is what you like.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

see i didn't even know you needed a different bp for the knight i know about the different primer types for the knight nut this bp powder issue is all new to me. it's like me doing the electric instal on a job and not supplying the fuses and the people can't turn there power on for a week or two while they figure out where to get the fuses ! just doesn't make sense to me !! thanks !!
On a Knight there are two different breech plugs one for Red Plastic Jacket and primer - FPJ or Bare Primer breech plug for just inserting a bare primer. But it takes two types of bolt housing also. When you order a Knight bolt action you order 1 of 3 different ignition systems - FPJ - NFPJ - or Western for caps. You make that decision when you order or purchase the rifle. But all three systems will inter change.

The FPJ and the NFPJ will both ignite BH but normally the NFPJ is a more reliable ignition source.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i knew about the different bp on the knights as far as the primer type as i have two tk-2000 shotguns and converted both to musket cap nipples. i hate those red primer sleeves or whatever you call them ? thanks !
Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Spike

yes i know you can shoot loose powder with the one it comes with but the guy at cva told me i would get a 10-15% potential failure to fire using it which is ok for target but not for hunting !!
If I shoot GOEX bp or Pyrodex in powder form, should I get the CVA Blackhorn breech plug? That is the breech plug that comes standard on the northwest versions of CVA's guns, correct?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ram2
If I shoot GOEX bp or Pyrodex in powder form, should I get the CVA Blackhorn breech plug? That is the breech plug that comes standard on the northwest versions of CVA's guns, correct?
Your CVA plug should shoot any powder other than BH with out a problem. The NorWest CVA`s should have a BP designed for Musket cap. BH requires a 209 primer to ignite it unless you duplex it.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-27-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just talked to a guy yesterday that say's he solved the problem of the CVA plug not shooting BH. And his resolution seriously made me laugh and wonder at the same time. He said he loads 15 grains of T7 first, then 70 grains BH. Says he gets perfect fireoff every time and getting right at 1 inch groups with those XTP's. I kinda have to wonder but I don't doubt the fella's word. What is making me wonder is the "perfect fireoff". Seems the mix of the powders would create an instability in the power spike but hey, I've heard of (and done) stranger things I guess.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I just talked to a guy yesterday that say's he solved the problem of the CVA plug not shooting BH. And his resolution seriously made me laugh and wonder at the same time. He said he loads 15 grains of T7 first, then 70 grains BH. Says he gets perfect fireoff every time and getting right at 1 inch groups with those XTP's. I kinda have to wonder but I don't doubt the fella's word. What is making me wonder is the "perfect fireoff". Seems the mix of the powders would create an instability in the power spike but hey, I've heard of (and done) stranger things I guess.
That does and will work... it is called "duplexing" - people have suggested that before and even some people do it. i wonder a bit about the safety of using that technique and I really wonder about the sense of it while hunting.

Heck! you could even use that technique and shoot BH in a side hammer or flintlock!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.