Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Double triggers and gloves >

Double triggers and gloves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Double triggers and gloves

Old 12-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

A little more history Bob. In the early 70's I was on the trap shooting tour. I made a good living at it, and for 5 years never worked. I just competed, and practiced. At all the big money shoots Al Timney would be there to work on everybody's guns. He pulled a trailer which was a rolling machine shop. He did all my triggers, and also worked on the chokes. I got to know him very good, because I hung around his trailer a lot. We talked about a lot of things. Including triggers of course. I know about triggers Bob. Al became a pretty good friend, and I used to go to his place a lot when we were both back in LA. Which is where I was living at the time.

I also competed in Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) for decades. 4 guns are used in the event. Lots of trigger work. I've also been shooting guns and hunting since I was 8 years old. I'm not 73. Lots of shooting, and lots of pulling triggers.

Set triggers are indeed used on modern CF guns. As any sniper. The set trigger on muzzleloaders isn't a modern invention. Look at the Hawkens that Jim Bridger and Jedidiah Smith owned. They had double set triggers. As did most all plains rifles. I'm not sure you're aware, but a set trigger doesn't have to be set to fire the gun. Just pull the front trigger, and it will fire. If you want a lighter pull, then pull the rear trigger to set it, and then pull the front trigger. If you want to shoot with a glove on just pull the front trigger. It will be a heavier pull, but so what? You can't feel anything with a glove on anyway.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default Wow!

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A little more history Bob. In the early 70's I was on the trap shooting tour. I made a good living at it, and for 5 years never worked. I just competed, and practiced. At all the big money shoots Al Timney would be there to work on everybody's guns. He pulled a trailer which was a rolling machine shop. He did all my triggers, and also worked on the chokes. I got to know him very good, because I hung around his trailer a lot. We talked about a lot of things. Including triggers of course. I know about triggers Bob. Al became a pretty good friend, and I used to go to his place a lot when we were both back in LA. Which is where I was living at the time.

I also competed in Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) for decades. 4 guns are used in the event. Lots of trigger work. I've also been shooting guns and hunting since I was 8 years old. I'm not 73. Lots of shooting, and lots of pulling triggers.

Set triggers are indeed used on modern CF guns. As any sniper. The set trigger on muzzleloaders isn't a modern invention. Look at the Hawkens that Jim Bridger and Jedidiah Smith owned. They had double set triggers. As did most all plains rifles. I'm not sure you're aware, but a set trigger doesn't have to be set to fire the gun. Just pull the front trigger, and it will fire. If you want a lighter pull, then pull the rear trigger to set it, and then pull the front trigger. If you want to shoot with a glove on just pull the front trigger. It will be a heavier pull, but so what? You can't feel anything with a glove on anyway.
Pete,

What a life! Getting paid to have fun shooting. I never had those kinds of skills. I did have mechanical skills, and many years ago did a lot of trigger jobs, mostly on double action revolvers. One of my favorites was the Ruger Security Six. Very easy to get a nice trigger. I think the basic design must have had something to do with it. Also did a few .45s, but never one of those 2.5# race gun triggers.

I did see an original PA rifle that was set-only. Small caiber small game rifle.

I'm not against set triggers per se, I just don't see the need for them. If I ever did get a rifle with one, I would prefer a bigger trigger guard, maybe like a Jaeger rifle. To me the triggerguards on some of these set trigger guns look like they were sized for a single, and the set trigger was an option.

As for not feeling anything with gloves on, that's not true in my case. I soon wouldn't feel anything with them off, at least not now in my later years. Now when I stick my cold hands in my armpits, all I end up with are cold armpits.

OldBob
Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I explained the advantage of a set trigger for offhand shooting. I shoot much smaller groups with a set trigger off hand than without one.

Of course you wouldn't want one for fast shooting like trap shooting, or CAS shooting. Even hunting if I have a fast shot to take I just pull the front trigger with it unset. However, in target competition when you have lots of time to shoot. They work great.

As for gloves? We'll have to agree to disagree. I've tried shooting with gloves, and any glove that's going to keep your hands warm in cold weather loses feel on the trigger. For me anyway.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I explained the advantage of a set trigger for offhand shooting. I shoot much smaller groups with a set trigger off hand than without one.

Of course you wouldn't want one for fast shooting like trap shooting, or CAS shooting. Even hunting if I have a fast shot to take I just pull the front trigger with it unset. However, in target competition when you have lots of time to shoot. They work great.

As for gloves? We'll have to agree to disagree. I've tried shooting with gloves, and any glove that's going to keep your hands warm in cold weather loses feel on the trigger. For me anyway.
Pete,

Yeah, but your skills are at a much higher level than mine. You're more finely tuned, and can probably outshoot me no matter what I wear.

OldBob
Old 12-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

Yeah, but your skills are at a much higher level than mine. You're more finely tuned, and can probably outshoot me no matter what I wear.

OldBob
you got that right!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to chuckle about these kind of discussions, nobody is right and nobody is wrong, each person has to find what works for them. I have tried everything mentioned here and a few other things. What works for me is the fingerless gloves mittens with a chemical hand warmer in each one. I get the best I can find, cheap dose not work when it comes to keeping warm.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its funny how everyone has their different likes. I use cotton jersey gloves with the little grippies about 90% of the time I hunt. I wore them every time this year so far, but it has been a pretty warm hunting season for the most part. If my hands get cold I just put them in my coat pockets
I do have a thin medium weight glove that I will wear when its really cold.

I believe that having a good trigger is a plus....but even so, I don't take off my gloves to make a shot. I've never worn heavy gloves ever, I could see where that could be an issue.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of it depends on your trigger too. If the pull lbs is on the high side you can probably get away with gloves on the thick side. As the pull gets lighter the gloves should get thinner.

With a set trigger that releases at 4oz. Gloves are a bad idea.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete, I think where a person hunts ,what part of the country that is makes a difference. I used to hunt Canada, Colorado and Wyoming a lot and live in Northern IL.,I moved to AR when I was 65 and still traveled a lot but being almost 80 now things are not what they used to be and the mountains and the long hikes with a heavy pack are not a possibility any more. Here they sit and wait for it to melt if it snows and think its cold when it gets down to freezing. The difference in what is needed to be reasonable comfortable is considerable.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I usually don't wear gloves when I hunt. I never have problems keeping feet or hands warm. When it is really cold or snowing while hunting I will put on a pair of thin wool gloves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.