HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Training an old dog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/403404-training-old-dog.html)

bronko22000 12-23-2015 04:32 PM

Training an old dog

I have been on this forum for a few years now and looking back I thought I knew a good bit about muzzleloaders. Fact is I did, but being on here I've learned quite a few tips and tricks to help me along. And I also passed some of my knowledge onto a lot of you.
I remember first coming on here and the only cleaning I ever did was a hot soapy water wash followed by a hot water rinse and the drying. The a coating of infamous bore butter. I never, ever had a problem with rusting or corrosion and was using that method for almost 40 years.
But some of you (Semisane, Cayugad, and a couple others) showed me the light of other cleaners and lubes. Heck, I even took up Semi's advice and tried Liquid Wrench as a patch lube!
I guess its true that you can teach an old dog new tricks. (but I've also noticed in here that some old dogs - and some of the younger ones - are more stubborn than others. lol)
Thanks to all of you for a great forum and I wish you all the best in your future muzzleloading.

Muley Hunter 12-23-2015 05:59 PM

I remember reading your old post when you used Bore Butter. I said to myself he'll learn someday.

Glad you did. :biggrin:

Grouse45 12-23-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4235366)
I remember reading your old post when you used Bore Butter. I said to myself he'll learn someday.

Glad you did. :biggrin:

Bore butter never hurt my ML'S when I used to use it. Im not sure, but I think I used to use it with roundballs as well. It's been so long, but I think I had patches that were covered in bore butter for round balls?? And I shot a lot of Deer with those round balls for sure. Not sure exactly, but 30 to 50 for sure.

Grouse45 12-23-2015 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4235353)
I have been on this forum for a few years now and looking back I thought I knew a good bit about muzzleloaders. Fact is I did, but being on here I've learned quite a few tips and tricks to help me along. And I also passed some of my knowledge onto a lot of you.
I remember first coming on here and the only cleaning I ever did was a hot soapy water wash followed by a hot water rinse and the drying. The a coating of infamous bore butter. I never, ever had a problem with rusting or corrosion and was using that method for almost 40 years.
But some of you (Semisane, Cayugad, and a couple others) showed me the light of other cleaners and lubes. Heck, I even took up Semi's advice and tried Liquid Wrench as a patch lube!
I guess its true that you can teach an old dog new tricks. (but I've also noticed in here that some old dogs - and some of the younger ones - are more stubborn than others. lol)
Thanks to all of you for a great forum and I wish you all the best in your future muzzleloading.

PA didn't even have a Flintlock season until 1974 or 75. But I can't remember the year when we didn't need to use round balls??

Muley Hunter 12-23-2015 06:13 PM

Well, it hardens up like a dead carp when it gets cold. If it's real cold it blows out the middle of the patch. It also builds up in the bore in time. It's also way down the list for rust prevention.

It's basically chap stick.

Grouse45 12-23-2015 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4235372)
Well, it hardens up like a dead carp when it gets cold. If it's real cold it blows out the middle of the patch. It also builds up in the bore in time. It's also way down the list for rust prevention.

It's basically chap stick.

None of those issues would happen to me. I shot that PRB off every day and cleaned it. If I shot a Deer, I actually ran cleaning patches down the bore before reloading again. Then I still would shoot that off at night, then fully clean that barrel with soap and water. I know it's crazy but that's what I did. I don't miss it lol

Muley Hunter 12-23-2015 06:27 PM

The only one that bothered me when I tried it was it getting hard in cold weather.

I've switched to animal tallow, and it stays soft in cold weather. Like mink oil, bear grease etc.

Semisane 12-23-2015 08:57 PM

Getting back on topic - as with Bronko I've learned a lot from the guys on this forum and really appreciate all who participate. Thank you all.

I too have tried many of the techniques or products recommended. Some worked. Some did not. For example, I learned that treating your barrel with Preparation H will not tighten up a loose bore. I've also learned that if things are slow and you're bored, all you need do is start a thread either in favor of or denigrating Powerbelts or CVA rifles.

Of course there are always going to be differences of opinion in a diverse group such as we, usually based on our individual personal experiences (or long held incorrect beliefs :D). Fortunately there's one thing upon which we can all agree; GOEX is a superior propellant and Blackhorn is crap. Also, we can all agree that Bronko is indeed an old dog.

Grouse45 12-23-2015 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4235393)
Getting back on topic - as with Bronko I've learned a lot from the guys on this forum and really appreciate all who participate. Thank you all.

I too have tried many of the techniques or products recommended. Some worked. Some did not. For example, I learned that treating your barrel with Preparation H will not tighten up a loose bore. I've also learned that if things are slow and you're bored, all you need do is start a thread either in favor of or denigrating Powerbelts or CVA rifles.

Of course there are always going to be differences of opinion in a diverse group such as we, usually based on our individual personal experiences (or long held incorrect beliefs :D). Fortunately there's one thing upon which we can all agree; GOEX is a superior propellant and Blackhorn is crap. Also, we can all agree that Bronko is indeed an old dog.

Back on topic??? CVA and PowerBelts, well I won't go there!! But Goex has been pretty darn good to me🎯😝

cayugad 12-24-2015 02:23 AM

I have learned a lot of things on this and other forums that made my muzzle loading more enjoyable. I have seen different point of views, new ideas, and some not so good ideas. (I too tried the liquid wrench and it works). I have tried countless patch lubes for round ball, and even made a few of my own. But what I did discover on these forums is a willingness to learn and try new things. I hope over the years we have helped some of the new shooters, and old shooters, we've instilled a desire to shoot muzzle loaders, and also made people aware of a whole new sport out there. No matter what you shoot for a rifle or projectile.