Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Coyote Encounters MonoFlex >

Coyote Encounters MonoFlex

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Coyote Encounters MonoFlex

Old 12-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote Encounters MonoFlex

Coyote died yesterday morning; photo were made this morning.

Omega X7 was the rifle. The load was 250g MonoFlex, 110g Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The reason i was out there in the flowers, is because i wanted to tag a whitetail doe. None were there, but as i was glassing, this dog was spotted out about 1/2 mile, perhaps less. It was hunting right toward me, and i watched it, and watched it, and it kept on coming toward me. When it dipped out of sight i waited, and waited. My feet got cold from standing so long. Then i figured it was time to take the rifle off my shoulder. Seemed like the critter might just appear right in front of me, so i cocked the rifle, and waited. Of a sudden, the coyote appeared in a little swale to the right. Carefully, i moved my feet, and shouldered the rifle. It kept moving, but then stopped, but before i could aim it moved on. It was obvious i couldn't hold the rifle steady enough to make the shot, so i moved my hand, and braced my elbow on my chest. When it stopped, i was able to kinda hold steady, and when the trigger broke, the coyote started jumping, and flipping, but didn't run off.

Had to unbutton my coat to get to the vials of powder, and bullets, and the rifle was reloaded. The primers were in my jeans pocket. When reloading was finished the coyote wasn't visible. Curious about the range, i used the laser on the slope just behind where the coyote was standing. Reading was 138 yard, so i figured the critter was at near 135 yard when shot. It seemed like the coyote should be laying down there somewhere, but it crossed my mind, that it may have run off. After a few steps, i saw something there, and the binocular showed it was the coyote. It was obvious, after seeing the bullet's exit, the coyote was never going to be able to run off. The bullet exit hole is visible. It certainly was a lucky shot.

Flowers for my bride

Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, he's dead. Great shot Ron.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Banned

Ron.

Good shot? One could say, perfect shot. Lotta tracks in that field, no doubt why he was there.

OldBob
Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice, we need a lot more people doing this as well. Congratulations, and great shot!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you skin them at all for the hide? Very nice shot there. And a heck of a hole.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great shot on the coyote.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job Ron! I'd been happy making that shot with a rest! Very good shooting for sure! Pretty yote too, nice coloring. I have one of similar color mounted. Good size it appears.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go. I shoot at every one I see.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Do you skin them at all for the hide?......
Yesterday with all the bright red blood on the pelt, around the exit, it looked like it was destroyed, and i figured it was worth about $5, if i worked it over. Green pelts aren't being purchased. Apparently the price of oil has driven down the demand for fur. Today, it didn't look so very bad, but i wasn't prepared to haul it out.

Today my goal was to get some photo, and look for whitetail, and bring out some flowers. The only deer i saw in there, were Mulies, and my tag isn't good for them.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Great shot, a good coyote is a dead coyote. Snow? Its supposed to be 70 today in Charlotte with Christmas day pushing 75

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.