Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Coyote Encounters MonoFlex >

Coyote Encounters MonoFlex

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Coyote Encounters MonoFlex

Old 12-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, big holes don't do much for selling hides.

I shot a real pretty big ol red fox with my ML many moons ago. That thing had big holes. The taxi did wonders with it, you'd never know. Actually my bobcat too had a giant hole. Doesn't matter so much with the long haired critters and a good taxidermist.

Good luck making a hole like that in a deer Ron

Oh, and what type of flower is that?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, I thought it might be...but wasn't sure.

They just grow random out there?
Old 12-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, they are planted, and normally harvested. The photo shows the field of cut sunflower plants.....

This is the first time i ever saw sunflowers planted on state land. Years ago i was able to kill a couple of whitetail on state land that was planted with corn. The producer explained to me that the agreement with the state, was he seeded, and fertilized, and irrigated the crop, then left 1/3 of the corn uncut. What the agreement is here, i don't know.

What it looked like to me was all of the sunflower plants are cut, but there seemed to be areas in the field where the heads had all the seeds still attached, and there seemed to be areas where the heads had no seeds.

No whitetail have been in the sunflowers yet, but i have seen mule deer out there twice. The closest i was able to get to the deer was 300 yard, so i wouldn't have had much chance with my muzzle loader. Have seen Sharptail grouse, and the coyote, but no whitetail. Chances of killing a whitetail seem bleak.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't realize they farmed sunflowers? I wondered how they got all the seeds they sell.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

good coyote fur is in demand. more so than other furs. people here will pay 25.00 on the carcass and expect at least 75.00 skinned and streached.thats not a big hole,the boys with 7 mags make big holes!!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I didn't realize they farmed sunflowers? I wondered how they got all the seeds they sell.
I knew they farmed em, just didn't think that they would on the state ground like that...which prompted my question.

Boy I bet that place is pretty in the summer!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some time ago, (maybe 20 years) our State Dept brought over many wolves from Minnesota and scattered them across our Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Now the state-run DNR Dept gets constant complaints about them, for they have multiplied into larger numbers than the DNR ever expected in 20 years or-so. Some have either swam or crossed the three mile-long Mackinaw Bridge and now in the Northern Lower part of Michigan.

Wolves will be treated like coyotes here in Michigan soon......... hunted hard. All we're waiting on is approval from the DNR. An open bounty in the Upper Peninsula is coming soon. That part of Michigan has seen it's deer herd cut in half in only two years. Two consecutive terrible winters and those darn wolves........

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-24-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a season on wolves in Minnesota for a couple years. Then the Feds put a stop to it. Your state DNR has no power over Federal rulings.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They started to plant them around here and from what I understand it is for the oil. That bio diesel stuff or something like that. I don't think they even separated the seeds. With the large fields of them planted there are always tourists taking their pictures in the flowers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.