Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A new Cooper ML

Old 12-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, there are a lot more people attending Friendship meets nowadays than ever before. And a good number of those people are outdoors writers. As a couple have said, good advertisement possibilities are there for the taking. I got out of MLing close to 30 years ago and am just now starting to regain my interest in it. Thinking seriously about Friendship next spring. I know USED to there were a lot of old farts, like me now, there looking at all the new "goodies" and many barrel makers would appear with cases full of barrels and went home with empty cases. It really is a good place to showcase a new rifle. Especially a custom job.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the exposure at Friendship would be a positive way to promote a quality muzzleloader. I have had some communication with a few of the shooters there and they seem to be extremely knowledgeable and open to new things.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Mike, there are a lot more people attending Friendship meets nowadays than ever before. And a good number of those people are outdoors writers. As a couple have said, good advertisement possibilities are there for the taking. I got out of MLing close to 30 years ago and am just now starting to regain my interest in it. Thinking seriously about Friendship next spring. I know USED to there were a lot of old farts, like me now, there looking at all the new "goodies" and many barrel makers would appear with cases full of barrels and went home with empty cases. It really is a good place to showcase a new rifle. Especially a custom job.
Well that is something I had not thought of. That certainly would be a positive aspect for sure.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

But they already have Toby. Lol
Old 12-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Spike

All,
Thanks very much for the kind words and encouragement. I will try to answer all of your questions.

The synthetic stocks can be had in several color schemes. No worries there. I did not choose the color of the one going to the SHOT Show or it would have been a different color, lol.

The synthetic stocks do not remove any appreciable amount of weight. I have plans to do an ultra light version (under 6 pounds) but it will not happen this year. I would also like to do a Northwest legal version too but again, these things take time. The synthetic stock combined with the fluted barrel may provide some weight savings but I am not sure of exactly how much.

I would also like to offer a fast twist 45 caliber. I believe we can do it with minimal issue. However, the rifle would NOT be rated for smokeless powder. Would there still be any interest?

As for Friendship, I would like to go. I am going to request to be sent there to shoot. I do not have the final say on this & it may not happen. I asked last year & it did not happen. Please don't think I am trying to avoid Friendship.

Like Sabotloader, I don't think shooting well there means much. Matches are fine & well but at the end of the day they are just games. Personally, I place more emphasis on the testimonials of hunters who have used them in field conditions.

That being said, I still want to go. I have wanted to go there for ever! It's something of a pilgrimage for me. Honestly, I think our rifle will hold it's own. The weakest link in that chain would be my shooting ability. I don't really care about how it stacks up to dedicated & purpose built match rifles but I do care about how it does against bone stock factory rifles.

I suppose if I wanted to I could build a dedicated match rifle out of a M22 ML, but I don't see much use in doing that.

As far as price, yes they are expensive. However, it uses an in house made receiver made from 4140 CM or 416SS steel that is blue printed & true. It uses a match grade, lapped, stress relieved, & air gauged barrel. It uses a carbon fiber/7075 T6 aluminum ram rod. It uses a Timney trigger. It uses a glass bedded stock. Walnut stocks are hand checkered & oil rub finished. These things cost, no two ways about it. The plug is heat treated 416 SS. Honestly, I think that it's a pretty good deal, all things considered.

I know that the rifle isn't for everyone, and that's OK. I own several muzzle loading rifles, some inline & some traditional. I like them all and each has it's place in this world. I still shoot my CVA Bobcat that I got at Walmart back in the day. I would part with my right arm before I'd part with my T/C Renegade.

I hope this post has helped & if anyone has any questions please just let me know
Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Make sure when you make the fast twist .45 there is a ultra lite version. Also, does this muzzloader require a 4473?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would order a Ultralite fast twist 45 today. I don't need it to shoot Smokeless either. BP subs are just fine. I am a hunter so I prefer synthetic stock and stainless barrel.

Last edited by Grouse45; 12-28-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fast twist Ultra light 45 will sell a few even if its only rated for BH209. My Pacnor 45 would go bye bye to fund it.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Spike

I'm glad to hear that there would be interest in the fast twist 45, I plan on making it happen!

We are introducing an ultra light rifle chambered for belted magnums that weighs under 6 pounds, I see no reason what we can't do it in a ML as well, hopefully I can make that happen sooner than later!

Also, our rifle odes not require 4473.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as it comes in under 7lb i would be fairly happy. Under 6lbs and 45cal i would be thrilled. Ive already got a sub 6lb custom 50cal so im only interested in a fast twist 45.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.