Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet Failure

Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Normally when a bullet does that guys will say they won't use a bullet that shatters.

If you didn't know a thing about Lehigh bullets, and you saw that picture. What would you think? What would your gut reaction be?
I agree.

Its because we are conditioned to believing the best bullets are ones that mushroom and hold together. And that is normally true with all the other types of bullets.
I believed the same thing when I first shot the Bloodlines. Now, I know different and can't wait to use them ... they are bad a$$.

Grouse, my goal is to hopefully take a doe this season with one of the 250's you gave me

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
That you are an old goat that eats turnips.

This may be true too
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Ron,
Your spot on. Hydraulic pressure is the problem im having with the new bullets. I don't remember if I sent you any of the new Lehigh bullets. But the slits in the new bullets are not allowing the hydraulic pressure to build like the bloodlines do. So when those petals shear they don't have the explosion effect like the Bloodlines. Dave figured this out and is working on making them better when he gets a chance for me. These bullets still kill game, but I put them into a category of a mushrooming bullet. I thought at first the petals weren't shearing, but after some tests similar to yours they are shearing with no problem.
Isn't the Lehigh bullet in this thread the new controlled fracture and not a bloodline?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
Isn't the Lehigh bullet in this thread the new controlled fracture and not a bloodline?
Looks like Bloodline to me but maybe not?? Those petals are thick like a Lehigh not a Bloodline.

Last edited by Grouse45; 12-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The link Ron provided says it is the Lehigh CF.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

I know he tested at least one, maybe two different Lehigh control fracture bullets.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Spike

Default Plotting Bullet Performance

The attached first chart may be a way of blending test performance and field results into something useful. Ron shared some field experience, along with test data for the .44/270 Speer Deep Curl. I've had a mix of experiences with this bullet as well. So, I tried to put it in a visual. It shows the 50 grain BH load as "poor" with 80 as "good", then shows various field experience points as good or poor.

This suggests a "max range" for these intermediate power loads of something over 125 yards, but less than 150. It may suggest that harder targets (larger bucks) are better for the longest ranges than softer targets like small does.

My "poor" field experience was at the closest range (105 yards), but on a small doe that may have field dressed 100 lb. Was hunting a doe tag and this small doe with 2 fawns seemed like she may have been wounded by nearby gunfire. What looked like a wound turned out to be a wet mud patch behind her shoulder. The bullet made a long path through the rib cage on a quartering away downhill shot. The deer went over 200 yards, then had to be put down with a finish shot over an hour later. The bullet had penciled through.

"How much powder?", is asked in this thread. The first chart may start answering "how far" for intermediate 80 - 90 grain BH209 loads. The 2nd chart shows load equivalents for some other powders, with this 270 grain bullet. The 50 grain equivalents look suspicious and may represent extrapolating data too far. The 80 grain equivalents should be better and of more interest for hunting loads.
Attached Thumbnails Bullet Failure-v-v-pwdr.pdf  
Old 12-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If memory serves, he was shooting 50gr at 25 yards to represent speeds at 120+ yards with NORMAL loads. Basically he was showing the longer range shooters how performance levels of various bullets were lower than most expected with a LOT of bullets out there. Most of my problems with bullets have been poor performance at close range (bullet breaking up without good penetration) since the vast majority of my shots are within 75 yards. BUT I do get the occasional shot out to 150 yards so I load for that. So my requirement for a bullet is performance at BOTH short and longer range.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, it's further than that. I asked him about one of the 50gr loads, and how far it would be to get to that fps if 100gr was used. It was 275yds. Long shot.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Actually, it's further than that. I asked him about one of the 50gr loads, and how far it would be to get to that fps if 100gr was used. It was 275yds. Long shot.
I don't think so. You better double check that.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I don't think so. You better double check that.
Post #5

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...blackhorn.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.