HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Omega ramrod question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/403208-omega-ramrod-question.html)

WV Hunter 12-14-2015 04:02 AM

Omega ramrod question

A buddy of mine has an original .50 cal omega and is looking for an extendable ramrod that will fit it properly.

He also has a Winchester Apex, and is using the factory extendable ramrod from that rifle currently, when his son is not hunting with it. I think CVA made those rifles iirc. It fits perfect.

The situation is he shoots T7 and likes to swab between shots when hunting if time allows. The factory omega ramrod only leaves a little bit out of the bore when cleaning in the field which makes it a pain.

Is there anyone that makes a ramrod that extends that will fit his Omega properly? I tried one of my 26" extendable knight rods, and the length was about 1/2" long when closed which would probably be fine, but it wouldn't hold tight in the gun. Its too skinny.

Thanks

BarnesAddict 12-14-2015 04:31 AM

May not be quite as fast but....

He could also make his own rod, with one slightly longer. It doesn't hurt a thing when shooting.

Muley Hunter 12-14-2015 04:55 AM

Get one of those T-handles that screws onto his ramrod. It will extend it, and give a better grip when swabbing. Easily carries in a pocket.

ronlaughlin 12-14-2015 04:58 AM

Would something like shown in photo work for him?

Does he know that his Omega is capable of killing 50 deer with 50 shots, without swabbing, if he used Blackhorn powder?

Muley Hunter 12-14-2015 05:20 AM

That's the one I was talking about Ron.

WV Hunter 12-14-2015 06:49 AM

Thanks guys. He does know about the T handle that can screw on, but was just looking to see if he could buy an extendable ramrod to simplify things. Not sure if anyone makes one one that will work. Search online doesn't come up with much of anything on the Winchester Apex ramrod... maybe he could call CVA. ?

Ron, I've talked to him about Blackhorn... he likes his setup with 2 pellets and only ML hunts a few times a year typically... so he's not really interested in changing at this point. I just figured I'd check and see if anyone knew where he might be able to get an extendable ramrod that would fit, as alot of folks here seem to have or have had Omega's.

In my MK-85's I still shoot Pyrodex in them and when I shoot at a deer if I am not in a hurry, I swab before reloading. The Knight extendable ramrods are awesome for that, love how they extend out.

Gm54-120 12-14-2015 07:08 AM

Numrich has the older Knight 22" extendable rods for about $20. Im not sure how long it is when extended.

Would a SpinJag giRamRod with a Spinjag made to order work for him?

BTW the T/C PowerRod has a T-handle built into the rod. The original XS-Sights one i have is kinda thin though.
Ramrod 31007983 is the part # for 28" Omega

Muley Hunter 12-14-2015 07:34 AM

You don't want the extendable CVA version. They always clogged up with fouling, and stopped working. That's what CVA's come with solid rods now, and use a long jag instead.

Semisane 12-14-2015 07:38 AM

One option would be to get a three inch long 10-32 brass machine screw from a hardware store and leave it screwed into the end of the rod when hunting. It wouldn't be perfect, but would give him something to grab on to. Ace hardware stores have threaded aluminum spacer tubes in various short lengths that are 1/4" OD with 10-32 internal threads. A few of those threaded on the shaft of the machine screw would make it easier to grip.

toytruck 12-14-2015 07:45 AM

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/product.asp not sure of the diameter, but maybe something along these lines...