Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Impact

Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

super_hunt54

She shoots her centerfires a lot Sabot but I really don't think she will be "pounding" her MLer like I do but then again, I could be wrong. The girl does like to shoot. She now reloads all her own stuff for both her 7mm08 and her .243 (granted on my equipment) but she is highly detail oriented, logs everything, keeps a file with her targets in it so she can verify any load for whatever she will be going hunting for. That's kind of why I am a bit against the "cheap line" Impact as I just don't know if it will perform up to her standards.
That is why I am suggesting the Freedom series, it is much like her conventional center fires, it will be a quick adaptation for her. The rifle can easily be upgraded to a full DISC Extreme at a later date should she choose to it.

The differences in the Freedom is it only comes with FPJ - which is not all that bad - and it can be upgraded to NFPJ easily. Black composite stock only with composite trigger guard and composite ram rod guide. All of those can be changed or upgraded very easily. Then is would essentially be a DISC Extreme - life time rifle.

And as Grouse has said - the Omega fix is not difficult...

One other thought PM 1874sharpsshooter he might have something she might want - if you do not mind used but well cared for.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Freedom lines are out of her price range for the moment Sabot. She kinda took my "foot down" to heart (little POed at me too) and wants do do it ALL by her lonesome as far as paying. She wont even let me mount one of the extra scopes I have laying around. Lord knows I have more than a few extras. Never know when you may need one ya know. She is looking at around 300, maybe squeezing out 350, for the rifle so she will have enough to get a decent Nikon for it. Hence why the used Omega or the Impact is about all she can really afford.

As far as mimicking her CF rifles, she picked up my old Hawken TC with open sights and shot it like a champ. Of all 5 of my kids, she is probably the most naturally gifted shooter. But she does want something more suited to her body frame than a side lock as well as something she can reach out to 150-200 with since a couple places she hunts has fields that present those length of shots often. I honestly think she is a bit tougher than she gives herself credit for and if brought up slowly to get used to it she could handle more recoil than she thinks. .
Old 12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not get it for her for Christmas or a Birthday?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Why not get it for her for Christmas or a Birthday?
Grouse, don't get me wrong, I love my kids and have spoiled them rotten in some ways. But between the 5 of them there are 14 rifles, 8 handguns, 12 various bows (compounds and traditionals) that I either bought, built, or had built! It gets a little old ya know? They all 5 have jobs, 4 have their own homes with the youngest saving to buy her own and it's dang time for them to strike out on their own a little when it comes to firearms. My old man bought me 1 rifle my whole life. My greatgramps made me 2 bows which I ended up paying for in the long run helping him run his trap lines and such. Now the grandkids I intend to spoil so rotten they stink! Which I am well on that path When I put my foot down, it tends to stay put. My daughters do know how to work pappy though (dang females!!) yanking on the old heart strings. But in all honesty, since I had to pay for my knee surgery out of pocket my fun money aint so fun right now till next quarter. The boss has closed the purse and put the dogs on it!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me too. My dad gave me a Win 94 30-30 for Christmas when I was a young teen. I still have it, and it's in pristine condition. I used it for decades.

Well, I sort of have it. I lent it to my son in law who lives in Mass 5 years ago, and he refuses to send it back to me. He knows i'll never get back to Mass to get it back from him.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Grouse, don't get me wrong, I love my kids and have spoiled them rotten in some ways. But between the 5 of them there are 14 rifles, 8 handguns, 12 various bows (compounds and traditionals) that I either bought, built, or had built! It gets a little old ya know? They all 5 have jobs, 4 have their own homes with the youngest saving to buy her own and it's dang time for them to strike out on their own a little when it comes to firearms. My old man bought me 1 rifle my whole life. My greatgramps made me 2 bows which I ended up paying for in the long run helping him run his trap lines and such. Now the grandkids I intend to spoil so rotten they stink! Which I am well on that path When I put my foot down, it tends to stay put. My daughters do know how to work pappy though (dang females!!) yanking on the old heart strings. But in all honesty, since I had to pay for my knee surgery out of pocket my fun money aint so fun right now till next quarter. The boss has closed the purse and put the dogs on it!
Gotcha😉 She will get it.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Gotcha😉 She will get it.
Yep she will. I can say with 100% certainty that I know exactly where her stubborn streak comes from and just how wide that streak is