Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I don't wanna know what bullet you use. >

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The hard cast flat nosed bullets are kind of in a league by their own. They are a great bullet for shoulder shots. A friend uses them on elk and moose, they do break a animal down and they do exit every tme.

IME: Big hogs shot behind the shoulder with 280 and 330 Harvester grain hard casts travel a little farther than those hit with an expanding bullet.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want a bullet that is accurate (2 MOA) and expands at moderate velocity, and either expends all of its energy in the animal or has just enough to pass through on a broadside shot.
But as for tracking an animal - that not only depends on the shot but also on the animal itself. I've hit deer in the same spot that either dropped right there or only went a few yards to those that took off like a scalded cat. I believe it depends on their 'alert' status. I've also read that it depends what position the heart is in (relaxed or contracted) at the shot. But that's just here say and cannot be proven.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I want a bullet that is accurate (2 MOA) and expands at moderate velocity, and either expends all of its energy in the animal or has just enough to pass through on a broadside shot.
But as for tracking an animal - that not only depends on the shot but also on the animal itself. I've hit deer in the same spot that either dropped right there or only went a few yards to those that took off like a scalded cat. I believe it depends on their 'alert' status. I've also read that it depends what position the heart is in (relaxed or contracted) at the shot. But that's just here say and cannot be proven.
That 44-cal XTP (regular) in 300 grain did well on my pine tree-trunk tests over the weekend.

But wait, hold on to your hat, when I tell you what the 2nd best one was. Now this test was with five different bullets and I gauged the results on penetration and the width of bark that was missing after the shot.

Are you ready?...... believe it or not, the bullet that left the biggest dent in that Michigan pine was a 240gr T/C Cheapshot. OMG, I couldn't believe it myself.

BTW..... My 270gr Powerbelt Platinum left a bigger hole in that tree trunk than my 405gr Powerbelt lead HP. On a side note, I always use a fiber wad first, prior to loading any Powerbelt. In ending, I was shocked as to how little that tree trunk was marked, using a 405gr bullet.

The 5th bullet in that test was the 200gr 50/40 Hornady SST. Left damage to the trunk on the same level as the Powerbelt Platinum...... darn good bullet there too.

I had heard prior reports on that el-cheap Cheapshot exiting deer routinely..... like 40-50% of the time. I never believed it until the size of that trunk imprint convinced me. Impressive.

I like these soft pine tests better than the thin board / carpet / phone book waterjug tests. Last year the winner was the PA Conical Maxi-bullet in 270gr. The lead mushroomed into the pine tree, leaving a mushroom between the size of a nickel and quarter. The only similar conical I tried this year was the Hornady Great Plains 385s. It did not leave any lead whatsoever in that tree trunk.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-14-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

When is tree trunk season anyway? I seem to have missed it.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
That 44-cal XTP (regular) in 300 grain did well on my pine tree-trunk tests over the weekend.

But wait, hold on to your hat, when I tell you what the 2nd best one was. Now this test was with five different bullets and I gauged the results on penetration and the width of bark that was missing after the shot.

Are you ready?...... believe it or not, the bullet that left the biggest dent in that Michigan pine was a 240gr T/C Cheapshot. OMG, I couldn't believe it myself.

BTW..... My 270gr Powerbelt Platinum left a bigger hole in that tree trunk than my 405gr Powerbelt lead HP. On a side note, I always use a fiber wad first, prior to loading any Powerbelt. In ending, I was shocked as to how little that tree trunk was marked, using a 405gr bullet.
I think your posting on the wrong thread.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
When is tree trunk season anyway? I seem to have missed it.
4-5 times of the year, whenever I make that 200 mile trek upnorth. My bullets and guns always come with me.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
4-5 times of the year, whenever I make that 200 mile trek upnorth. My bullets and guns always come with me.
No trees where you live?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No trees where you live?
I need to travel 100 miles to find state land. Then I would be lucky to find a wounded or dead soft pine there to shoot at.

Pine country in our state starts in mid-Michigan and I live in Southeast Michigan.

Our Huron National Forest where I test those bullets comprises hundreds of square miles in mid/Norther Lower Michigan. That's where many junk pines, evergreen pines and oaks are. Our state government is currently allowing deforestation like crazy/ Log trucks going down the road are everywhere in mid-state and higher.

Where we hunted, I could hear the saws going in the distance. Pretty sad indeed, for all hunters there. Only ones not complaining are the wood burning stove homes. Costs them 1/3rd the amount that propane does for the winter. Place where we stayed burns 15-1/2 cords per winter (725 dollars). Prior to that, he paid a little over 2K in propane.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-14-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt private property, often close to boundary lines. I cannot afford long tracking. If I know I am close to the property line, I will go for a high shoulder and sacrifice some meat for as close to a drt as possible. If I know I have some cushion between the deer and someone else's property, double lung. BUT, I still expect that deer to go down within 100yds. If it does not, either I am not doing my job or I need another bullet. Since I have only used bullets that I have very high confidence in, it would more likely be the former.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.