Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun Cabinet

Old 12-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 super hunt54! I have a Henry Rifle made in 1861 that was passed down from my Dad that is worth many thousands of dollars and it's too bad it and all my other firearms have to be locked in safes, but that's the way it is these days. That cabinet the OP made is beautiful and oak is my favorite wood too, but no way would I display any of my firearms in something like that in this day and age! One thing a person needs to remember is that if you don't have your firearms locked up and they are easily stolen it is possible that if a crime is committed with them, or even an accident where someone gets shot, you may be on the end of a nasty lawsuit for not keeping them locked up.
Attached Thumbnails Gun Cabinet-henry-rifle-016.jpg  

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-12-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

That is a thing of beauty, to bad you can't open your safe door and see that setting inside.

This day and age isn't even safe to have UPS or any other delivery's done unless your home. Even stealing Xmas decorations around here.

And if they were to get caught they would just go to a resort for a bit then be turned loose early as they are non violent.
Is any punishment any more.

Al
Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

90 lb Pit Bull has kept my guns safe so far.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
90 lb Pit Bull has kept my guns safe so far.
2 rotties here. A smart individual would not try entering my home without permission but meth heads aren't known for brilliance And I would probably get sued for them eating the thieves The male likes to go for the throat, the female gets a mouthful of the "nether regions" (go figure huh).
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure a lawsuit would work. Don't we have to right to harm anybody breaking into our place?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Booby trap and attack dog clauses are in a lot of castle doctrine laws. In defense of SELF is one thing but a lot of states could care less about defense of PROPERTY.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Art, that saw hanging on the wall over there, sure has been sharpened a lot.

This thread sure has trended away from examining your beautiful gun cabinet, so i didn't think you would mind if i shared photo of a cabinet i built for our son about 35 years ago. It kinda looks like yours, kinda.

The photos of his cabinet, were taken about 9 years ago, when it was dug out of storage. The boy, and his mother designed it, when he was 14 or so. We didn't have much back then, what with kids living at home, and such. His cabinet was made from construction lumber. There was no worry about having enough quarter sawn oak for the draw fronts. The door frames are made from studs. What i did was find a friendly lumber yard, and sorted through 1 1/2 bunks of studs, to find 8 straight ones.

The back is a thin piece of substandard Redwood siding. The paneled doors are loose boards cut from an old school desk, and scrap stuff, & such. The shelves in the middle are for his revolvers, and the shelves below for his (mine really) reloading gear. The boy, and his mother couldn't decide about the feet, so i made one of each. When it was finished, the boy, and i hauled it from the garage, and down the stairs toward his bedroom, but it wouldn't fit below the floor joists, because of the head room over the stairs. We had to haul it back out to the garage where it was cut into two pieces. It took some figuring, but we managed to cut it right between the top doors, and the lower doors, and designed a system to hold it together. We hauled it back down the stairs, and never finished it, and never installed the glass.

About the time the boy graduated, i was sent down to Arizona by the Company. He ended up down there a year or so later working for us. While we were down there, grandmother took sick in Rapid City. Mother loaded up all the belongings, and moved from Great Falls. The cabinet was put into storage, and there it sat for 20 year or so, still unfinished. About 9 years ago, enough junk was moved, so that the cabinet was accessible. It had been there in the heat of summer, and the cold of winter unfinished. Say 120 degrees at times to -30 degrees at times. The feets were water stained, so it was apparent they had sat in water.

The fact that this unfinished piece had sat there, in water sometimes, and in hot, and cold, and survived, really was a pleasant surprise. Well, 9 years ago it was worked over some, and finally finished, and then hauled to the boy's home, where it is in use.....

Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's really great Ron and a great story too. You are very handy. I like the foot with the claws best.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

Man Art - that is beautiful! Excellent craftsmanship!
Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.