Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I myself have never cared for Bear meat either. A lot of my family did which is why I hunted them in the past. Since most of them are gone now I have no one but my mutts that like it around me so I no longer hunt them. I never actually thought about hunting them for dog food. Makes me think about doing it again. I do remember enjoying getting after them. Couple Bears would feed my dogs well for a good bit. Maybe go half n half with some dry. Pete, do you cook it off or feed it to them raw? Just wondering how raw might effect my rabbit dogs. Letting them "blood up" on another species may screw them up.
NO, never give it to them raw. A dog can get trichinosis just like us. Cook it well done.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

tricky-who? Any relation to Tricky Dick?
RIP Mr. Nixon.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like steaks. No seasoning. Grill it up, and eat it. If the meat won't taste good doing that I don't like it.

Almost everybody who says to me they like bear meat cook it spiced up, and the taste is disguised somewhat.

I thought of canning it. I've read that kills most of the game taste if that's what I don't like. I'm not sure. Canning also floats all the fat to the top of the jar so it can be spooned off. Then you just have tender lean meat left. I want to try it that way first before buying a canner.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen meat canning done but in all my years I have yet to try any canned game meat. Had some canned ham but I don't think that's the same thing (plus it's usually pork "product") but I would like to try some canned venison myself.

Pete, the only way I found Bear meat even tolerable was very slowly spit roasted which got rid of most of the fat. Wasn't TOO awful bad that way.

And I didn't think about Bears and Trich. Knew it was in Pork sometimes.

T7, Trich is worm larva and if they get into your system (or a dogs) they can cause a multitude of illnesses up to and including death.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:01 AM
Dominant Buck

We used to can deer meat all the time. Its excellent! All you do is pop a quart out, make some instant mashed potatoes, and a vegetable and its like an instant meal. And I agree with bear meat. I never canned it but I always cook it on the grill or over an open fire. If that fat is allowed in the meat to stay, its terrible.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to be starving to eat either bear meat or instant mashed potatoes...yuck!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd eat the spuds, but nobody will convince me bear meat taste good.

We all have different tastes. Some people love liver and onions. You couldn't pay me to eat it. So, how could I ever agree on taste with anybody who likes liver and onions? That's just one example.

To be honest. I'm not that crazy about deer venison either. I'll eat it, but I don't like it much.

I eat a lot of elk meat, but if I have to be honest. I like beef better.

With that said, you can see how bear has no chance with me. It's pretty much elk meat, or nothing. I'm content to just have beef steak and eggs.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I donate my duck, squirrel, rabbit and deer harvests. Been doing it since the beginning in 1990. Deer goes to either deer camp members, brother in-law, Missionaries or State checkpoint for deer, for they know of places to help feed the needy.

I'll eat someone else's venison stews, spaghetti, jerky or sausage, if someone at our deer camp dinner table admits that the normal, nothing-added venison-taste is missing. But nothing else.... not even the typical grilled tenderloins, steaks..... etc.... even if they're seasoned with stuff like Lawry's or bottled BBQ sauces.

My palate is somewhat picky. My wife likes 2-3X the vegetable, fruit, meat, seafood....etc... offerings as I. As an example coming from food sources in waters of our earth, I'll only eat Perch, Walleye, Cod, Halibut, Shrimp and canned Tuna...... that's it.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-23-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'd eat the spuds, but nobody will convince me bear meat taste good.

We all have different tastes. Some people love liver and onions. You couldn't pay me to eat it. So, how could I ever agree on taste with anybody who likes liver and onions? That's just one example.

To be honest. I'm not that crazy about deer venison either. I'll eat it, but I don't like it much.

I eat a lot of elk meat, but if I have to be honest. I like beef better.

With that said, you can see how bear has no chance with me. It's pretty much elk meat, or nothing. I'm content to just have beef steak and eggs.
I cant stand liver either. I ate too much rumaki one time and got sick from it. Now i cant stand the smell of liver. I don't care for bear meat either. The only time i had it that it was edible was in a meat loaf mixed with other ground meats. Ive found a couple brands of instant spuds that are not half bad.

Beef is probably better when we are talking about a rare steak or tenderloin on the grill but venison is better to me in chili and curries.

I could tolerate cow elk as a replacement for beef. I bet it would be exceptional grain fed.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-23-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't bring myself to shoot a calf elk, but i've been told it's the best meat ever. The DOW actually wants some of them taken for herd control, and at my age the meat would be easier to get out in warm weather. A first year calf is still bigger than a muley buck.

I still don't think I could do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.