Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I have an old .54 TC Renegade in pristine condition that I stumbled on to a few years back. I have not shot it yet, but my plan is to shoot PRB out of it. Hopefully next spring I can get out and work up a load, and hopefully harvest something with it. Its a beautiful rifle, and I'm a big fan of the .54

I think it will work like a champ
I am sure it will I would try 90 gr powder with a 425 gr conical. Good medicine and accurate in mine

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an old .54 TC Renegade in pristine condition that I stumbled on to a few years back. I have not shot it yet, but my plan is to shoot PRB out of it. Hopefully next spring I can get out and work up a load, and hopefully harvest something with it. Its a beautiful rifle, and I'm a big fan of the .54

I just bought a Renegade that looks unshot. It has a Sharon barrel 1-72 twist, 29", .54. Definitely a PRB only setup which suits me fine.

I've always like the Renegade, because I can shoot it left handed, and not worry about a cheek piece on the wrong side. What side the lock is on doesn't matter much.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Those that know me also know I love shooting round ball. I have numerous rifles and different calibers. Do I doubt the effectiveness of the roundball? Good question. I doubt the effectiveness of any projectile when its not put in the right spot. I have shot and killed a lot of whitetail over the years with a patched roundball. I never had a problem taking them, or tracking them. Do I trust the round ball. Under its limitations. But I personally feel the round ball limitations are more set by the skills of the shooter then the actual ball itself.

Also I have a 42" swamped Early Lancaster rifle. its is a pleasure to carry and to shoot. Free hand it has a almost built in balance point that with that known, a good shooter can do amazing things with it. Although it is too large to sit in my ground blind.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the long rifles. The long barrel helps me see the front sight a little better. The longest one i've owned was 36".

They don't work well for my hunting though. I hunt a lot of thick dark timber with lots of blow down. The long barrel is a pain, and i'd get it banged up if I used it all the time. The shorter Hawken style is better for me.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

.54 cal roundball is devastating on deer.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

No doubt! Mine likes the .530 PRB with 80gr. of 2FT7 out to 50yds, open sights. I won't put a scope on her so she is basically a target range fun gun now with my aged eyes...
Old 12-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
No doubt! Mine likes the .530 PRB with 80gr. of 2FT7 out to 50yds, open sights. I won't put a scope on her so she is basically a target range fun gun now with my aged eyes...
I hear ya Steve on the scope. I have not shot open sights in a while, hoping that I'm still good for a little while longer, though I know its going downhill a bit. Dang dollar store readers are an every day necessity now it seems.

Mine came with one of those TC peeps and the std open sights too. Hopefully I should be ok... at least out to about 75yds or so which is probably all I'd want to shoot it in the woods anyhow. Heck, most of my shots ain't that far. We will see I'll probably be picking some of ya'll brains this spring when I shoot her.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll kill Deer with a pellet gun. Will it work, yep. Will a round ball work on Deer, yep. Is there more bullets that will kill Deer more effectively, yep!!

45 and 50cal muzzleloaders with round balls is terrible. I could definitely see where bigger is better when it comes to round balls. It's a real toss up to what's worse at 75 yards and under between 50cal rounballs and powerbelts.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Good question. I doubt the effectiveness of any projectile when its not put in the right spot.
I've shot 40 to 50 Deer with patched round balls over my life time. But I refuse to use a bullet that I gotta put in the right spot for it to work. That's great that works for you, and it has very well. But highly suggest people don't do that and they use the best bullet to harvest there game if they don't make the perfect shot. And if you think that's a round ball use it. Way to many variables in hunting out of people's control.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a beautiful Elk!!

I'm glad that man shot it with his flintlock rifle, he's much more deserving of a trophy like that than some ...Edited by Champlain Islander... wielding an inline!

And for those of you whaa-whaa-ing over projectiles... the doe I shot Saturday was a textbook center heart shot with a center fire rifle chambered for 7-30 Waters. It was approximately 50 yds. from me when I squeezed the trigger and there was barely enough of that deer's heart left to identify when I gutted it but it still ran 75 yards before piling up. It was only a 100 lb. (dressed) doe but it traveled more than twice the distance of his monster Elk.

Hmmm... maybe I should have used one of my .54's with a patched RB... wouldn't have had to drag it as far!!

BPS

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-16-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: improper language

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.