Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do You Doubt The PRB?

Some think the PRB is a poor choice to hunt with. It's true that they aren't for long range, but within their range they can get it done.

Looky...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...lintlock-rifle
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, saw that last year when he took it. That's one hell of a pretty rifle he has. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to lug that dang Howitzer around! 42" barrel!!! And a full stock no less! Lord knows how much that thing weighs!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trust my 50-cal roundballer (1:66) out to 75 yards. My last harvest several years ago returned a flattened lead-piece a smidge bigger than a nickel.

I'm hunting all-lead this weekend. Changed my mind this afternoon and decided to take my Knight Vision and 240gr T/C Cheapshots and 285gr Hornady Great Plains conicals for the ride into the Huron National Forest.

This will be my first-ever hunt with that new Vision. Hope it brings me some luck.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it's a swamped barrel it will be surprisingly light. Less than a Hawken. .54 bore helps lighten it too.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't doubt it, but I will say the longest I've ever seen a deer run was my buddy shot one with his .50 hawken and prb. We trailed it about 300yds and jumped it up about 20 minutes after he shot it. It ran over a ridge and finally fell out. Total was close to 400yds and it had a hole right through the heart. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it (and stuck my finger in the hole). Damn craziest thing I've ever seen. I think the .54 is a better option than .45 or .50, but obviously many have been killed with them too.

To this day I still wonder how that could have happened.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good on the hunter.

i'm an advocate of patched round balls within their effective range. i'm not an advocate of unwieldy guns with very long barrels, however pretty they may be.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that long barrel would be a pain to hunt with. I like to keep them a bit under 30".

Some love the long rifles. Some love the Hawken style. Both work well. Since I live in the Rockies. The Hawken style appeals to me.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started with a 40 caliber in the 1960's for deer hunting it really did not leave a good blood trail or put them down fast I had one run over a quarter mile, I up graded to a bigger caliber many times until I got a 62 then I went back to a 54 with a 35.5 inch barrel, it shot the flattest put the deer down the quickest, I also took boar ,elk and bear with it I used 120 grain of RS Pyrodex a ticking patch lubed with bear grease from my first bear.
It actually put deer down at the shot most of the time and did it faster than anything I have shot in my inlines except the Lehigh brass bullets, I actually stuck my fist through the chest of the deer I got during mz. season this year it spun when I hit it and dropped right there.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing better than dropping the game where you shoot them .
Old 12-09-2015, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old .54 TC Renegade in pristine condition that I stumbled on to a few years back. I have not shot it yet, but my plan is to shoot PRB out of it. Hopefully next spring I can get out and work up a load, and hopefully harvest something with it. Its a beautiful rifle, and I'm a big fan of the .54

I think it will work like a champ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.