Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Semisane ... I too have a 40 year old Sheridan Silver Streak (VS Blue Streak) rifle. 5mm pellets, 8 pumps and that is a hunting gun. I would hate to think of all the rabbits, squirrels, and one opossum that I just could not bring myself to eat, that have fallen to that simple pellet rifle.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have one of those rifles. I bought it for my dad one Christmas. He always took it up the cabin for varmints and plinking. It sits down in my gun room and I break it out once in a while to send a couple pellets into the pellet trap.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Bob, your calculations are WAY off. #1, speed has absolutely no affect on gravity. When an object is propelled mechanically (such as a bullet or an arrow) the effect of gravity is not overcome whatsoever. Shoot a bullet and drop a penny from the same height as the rifle and the bullet will hit the ground at the same time as that penny (on a level surface of course). Just further away. Without lift, or internally produced propulsion, gravity is not overcome. Granted my physics classes were around half a century ago but I don't think gravity theory has changed to awful much over the years.

My single pin bows are set to dead center at 20 yards, 1 will hit approximately 2" high at 5 yards and just under 2" low at 40 yards. The other one is right at 1.5 both ways. Now, I stand at 6'5" tall. With my bow drawn and me on level ground my arrow will be approximately 8 inches below that. When practicing my targets are approximately 3 feet to center bull off the ground. One thing I can assure you of, I am NOT aiming UP at 40 yards. I may just have to get out there in the next day or 2 and get the wife to hang a protractor level on my arrow and get the degree of angle to which I am aiming but you can be assured it would not in ANY way calculate to a 9 foot drop angle calculation. Even my re-curve wouldn't be that steep at 40 yards.

Bob, you seriously need to get your head out of whatever books that are misinforming you and try to get some real world experience before trying to give advise on things you obviously have no clue about.
SH54,

I can't beleive you say such things! Perhaps you should get your head INTO some of those books you dislike so much. The gravitational constant for this planet is 32 fps/sec. Your penny and your arrow drop at the same rate (or thereabouts. This ignores planing from the broadhead and fletching). Where speed enters into the equation is that it determines time of flight, which multiplied by the gravitational constant, determines actual drop. Now the penny and the arrow do not begin dropping at 32FPS, so close range drop is less. But however you split these hairs, the 1800 FPS muzzleloader ball will be traveling at 6 times the speed of your arrow, hence your drop at normal ranges (0-50 yards) will be 1/6 of the arrow's drop, since the time of flight is 1/6 that of the arrow. And that's why I originally stated that the idea of a flat-shooting arrow is ludicrous.

Crack open the books. I don't expect you're going to come back here and say, "You're right, Bob." But at least you'll be better informed than you are right now.

OldBob
Old 12-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Banned

Default Katie

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They love carrots. They're easy to feed them without losing a finger.
Pete,

I can't give carrots, because Katie would want them, too, and she doesn't have teeth. I had to laugh the other day. She loves fig newtons, and that's fine, as long as I'm giving the other horses the same. I was giving pears the other day (quartered and cored), and she refused her fig newton. She wanted her pear, just like the other guys! So I gave her some of the softer ones, which she ate greedily. I buy the pears, and let them ripen up for a week or so.

What I meant, though, are there any behavioral differences between horses and mules that I might trip over.

OldBob
Old 12-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Sorry Bob, but I have to say something about this. Killing game in your backyard is really lame, and not the sign of a fair chase hunter.

Leave them alone, and go do a real hunt.
Pete,

Yeah, I know its lame. Unfortunately, so am I. They told me maybe 12 years ago I needed an artificial left knee (still waiting), and two years ago they said I needed an artificial right shoulder. I am not afraid of the operations, but I hate the downtime. I think I'm going to have to make time to get my body repaired. As it is right now, I can't do a "real" hunt, I don't think.

OldBob
Old 12-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give her strained carrots.

Yes, quite a bit of difference. A mule won't hurt itself on purpose. You can ride a horse off a cliff. You won't do that with a mule. It will stop before going over. Some call it being stubborn, but it's self-preservation. Smarter if you ask me. Mules are much healthier than horses, more sure footing in bad terrain, and aren't fussy what they eat.

Best part is you get to look at those big ears when you ride them.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OldBob47
SH54,

I can't beleive you say such things! Perhaps you should get your head INTO some of those books you dislike so much. The gravitational constant for this planet is 32 fps/sec. Your penny and your arrow drop at the same rate (or thereabouts. This ignores planing from the broadhead and fletching). Where speed enters into the equation is that it determines time of flight, which multiplied by the gravitational constant, determines actual drop. Now the penny and the arrow do not begin dropping at 32FPS, so close range drop is less. But however you split these hairs, the 1800 FPS muzzleloader ball will be traveling at 6 times the speed of your arrow, hence your drop at normal ranges (0-50 yards) will be 1/6 of the arrow's drop, since the time of flight is 1/6 that of the arrow. And that's why I originally stated that the idea of a flat-shooting arrow is ludicrous.

Crack open the books. I don't expect you're going to come back here and say, "You're right, Bob." But at least you'll be better informed than you are right now.

OldBob
Of course I'm not going to come back on here and say that since you are so incredibly incorrect it's just funny. In trying to "sound" smart with your "gravitational constant" statement you inadvertently showed your hand. Considering the GC of this planet is in NO way calculated in fps as an ending formula, your whole little comparison calculation went 100% out the window. Considering gravity is calculated through MASS (which is why you take the weight of an object into the calculation of gravity effects) not SPEED.

Trying to "sound" smart and actually being smart are 2 separate things Bob. Now, if you want to know about how to formulate trajectory using the actual GC formula there are a few variations of said formula for doing so I will point you to the wiki page to have access to a few of the formulas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

Now dust off your physics books and figure it out.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give her strained carrots.

Yes, quite a bit of difference. A mule won't hurt itself on purpose. You can ride a horse off a cliff. You won't do that with a mule. It will stop before going over. Some call it being stubborn, but it's self-preservation. Smarter if you ask me. Mules are much healthier than horses, more sure footing in bad terrain, and aren't fussy what they eat.

Best part is you get to look at those big ears when you ride them.
Not to mention if you get your truck/trailer rig stuck in the mud going in to a hunting spot, that big ole strong mule can pull it right out Let's not discuss how I came to that little tidbit of knowledge
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Not to mention if you get your truck/trailer rig stuck in the mud going in to a hunting spot, that big ole strong mule can pull it right out Let's not discuss how I came to that little tidbit of knowledge
Let me guess? You can't drive your truck in mud worth beans?

Am I close?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL naaa, hit a mud sink under the snow. Was sunk to the axles in slickern snot stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.