Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-24-2015, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

Only one dog? Remember, your newest best friend is waiting for you at the SPCA.

I don't want to put you on the spot, making you the Mule expert, but I volunteer at a horse rescue. I just started this recently. While I know next to nothing about horses, I do know those horses at the rescue, and have no difficulty. I can see where it might occur that we could get in a Mule(s). What would I need to know to provide care for a Mule? Are there any treats that are not recommended? I bring apples, pears, and fig newtons for the horses. All seem popular. I assume Blue Seal Trotter and regular hay would work for their regular ration, and we also have chopped alfalfa available.

OldBob
They love carrots. They're easy to feed them without losing a finger.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I shoot off my back porch are yotes and those infernal wascilly wabbits outta my garden. Never a shortage of rabbit stew at my house
Old 12-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OldBob47
CI,

Say you've got a bow that drives the arrow a bit over 300 FPS. Let's make an assumption that the arrow doesn't lose velocity very quickly, and averages 300 FPS over the 100 yard range. So, 300 foot range, 300 FPS, the arrow's time of flight will be 1 second. This means at 100 yards, the arrow's drop will be 32 feet. If we use the 40 yard range, the arrow's actual drop will be 32 X .4, 12.8 feet. If you increase the arrow's speed to 400 FPS, these figures become 24 feet at 100 yards, and 9.6 feet at 40 yards.

Just can't call this "flat shooting", huh?

OldBob
Bob = your calculations are WAY off. there is no way an arrow drops almost 13' at 40 yards. Geez Louise a recurve bow wouldn't do that!
What SH54 is saying is he can use one pin and only be +/-4" out to 40 yards. Now knowing SH54 I'm sure he compensates for shorter ranges by holding a bit lower and then a bit higher at the 40 yard range.
This would be on par with a hunter using a 300 Win Mag for example and sighting in 3" high at 100 yards and have an "effective" range of about 350 yards. Now before you go runing ballistics I'm sure I'm slightly off because I'm just guestimating out of experience.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Aw Muley, I kill a dozen squirrels a year in my yard with my trusty 40 year old Benjamin Pump pellet gun. Heck, sometimes I even bait them. It may not be "fair chase" but they make a darn good squirrel stew. I guess I'll have to change the name to "really lame stew". Here's a thought. Would it be fair chase if I put on some camo, sneak into my neighbor's yard, and kill them over there?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll have to ask your neighbor.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well Ron, if you want to get to the real nitty gritty truth, most mountain men were trappers by trade. Since I'm sure you know they didn't run the trap lines on a daily basis as they has strings all over the mountains, then it is very very doubtful they ate everything they killed. I'd be willing to bet that many Bear fell to "mountain men" that wasn't eaten.......
Am betting it was a wonderful time when they didn't have to eat everything they killed. Imagine it wasn't so good when they didn't kill enough to fill their stomach. One thing is sure, they didn't kill a critter, give it away, and then go to the market, to purchase food someone else killed for them.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was a tough life, and getting enough food was a big part of that. I'm betting they ate most all of what they killed. They even ate the beaver tails which is all gristle.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, your calculations are WAY off. #1, speed has absolutely no affect on gravity. When an object is propelled mechanically (such as a bullet or an arrow) the effect of gravity is not overcome whatsoever. Shoot a bullet and drop a penny from the same height as the rifle and the bullet will hit the ground at the same time as that penny (on a level surface of course). Just further away. Without lift, or internally produced propulsion, gravity is not overcome. Granted my physics classes were around half a century ago but I don't think gravity theory has changed to awful much over the years.

My single pin bows are set to dead center at 20 yards, 1 will hit approximately 2" high at 5 yards and just under 2" low at 40 yards. The other one is right at 1.5 both ways. Now, I stand at 6'5" tall. With my bow drawn and me on level ground my arrow will be approximately 8 inches below that. When practicing my targets are approximately 3 feet to center bull off the ground. One thing I can assure you of, I am NOT aiming UP at 40 yards. I may just have to get out there in the next day or 2 and get the wife to hang a protractor level on my arrow and get the degree of angle to which I am aiming but you can be assured it would not in ANY way calculate to a 9 foot drop angle calculation. Even my re-curve wouldn't be that steep at 40 yards.

Bob, you seriously need to get your head out of whatever books that are misinforming you and try to get some real world experience before trying to give advise on things you obviously have no clue about.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Round ball. Not me, but i'd love to own his gun.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that sure is a purdy one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.