Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A single pin means it won't be more than 4" above or below center in 40yds? If that's the case. You can hardly call it flat shooting.
Pete, 4 inches both above or below center would be 8 inches I meant, 4 inch drop from 0-40. If I hold center lung, I am basically holding for a 2 inch radius with 20 yards being dead center. Which is about as flat as one will get.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I take it to be a 4" drop from 10 to 40yds. Sounds pretty flat to me when thinking in terms of a bow.

Single pins don't usually work that way. An arrow will drop more than that at 40yds.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Pete, 4 inches both above or below center would be 8 inches I meant, 4 inch drop from 0-40. If I hold center lung, I am basically holding for a 2 inch radius with 20 yards being dead center. Which is about as flat as one will get.
If that was the case. Why do bow hunters all use range finders?

2" sure wouldn't matter, and there would be no need for multiple pins. Not many bow hunters shoot past that.

Even on a crossbow scope the BDC is marked every 10 yds.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that was the case. Why do bow hunters all use range finders?

2" sure wouldn't matter, and there would be no need for multiple pins. Not many bow hunters shoot past that.
Because most bows out there aren't that fast. The IBO speed's you see advertised are highly exaggerated because of how those IBO speeds are obtained. AMO speeds (which aren't published all too often) are more realistic speeds of bows fitted up with hunting arrows. Therefor you have more drop with those. The 2 bows I am referring to of mine are top of the line speed burners that your average hunters couldn't shoot accurately if their life depended on it without LONG hours of practice because they are extremely unforgiving. Very shallow Brace height highly exaggerates any fault in your form because the arrow is on the string longer after release than average hunting bows. A good range finder is always a good thing to have since in the heat of the moment, pinpointing range can be difficult even for the most accomplished of archers.

Basically when I was commenting on what Bob said, I was pointing out that as usual his "facts" were not up to snuff as there are many bows out there that shoot flat enough to make his statement of it being "ludicrous" incorrect.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
And I wonder how many have taken 8-10 heads of game with a ball...
I've taken 6 deer with the PRB. But that was many moons ago (mid 70's) when PA's primitive season only allowed the use of a round ball as the only legal projectile. They have since changed the law and now you can use any projectile. The only limitations is a rifle of .44 cal or larger and flintlock ignition and no telescopic sights.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Single pins don't usually work that way. An arrow will drop more than that at 40yds.
An arrow will certainly drop more than 4" at 40 yds no matter how fast it goes. That is just physics. Arrows come off the string climb to the line of sight then fall as the trajectory completes as gravity takes over. To use a single pin successfully out to 40 yds the zero point (line of sight) has to be adjusted out past 20 yds to closer to 30. Similar to sighting in your ML to 2" high at 50 to be zero at 100. If you need more range then adjust higher at 50 to push the zero out. Arrow goes up then down. Total rise and drop will equal much more than 4" but it is possible to have a 4" drop at 40 from the zero point depending on the zero yardage. My own 1 pin set up is good to 33 yds. I know at 15-20 yds I will hit slightly high but still in the vitals.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought that's what I said? With a single pin the POI can't go out of the kill zone. Whether it's rising, or falling.

Same with any projectile if you want to hold dead on for all the distances to your max range. Otherwise you need to use hold over/under.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sorry Grouse, he may possibly have provided some useful insight on some things but something said that is bright is left fairly dimmed when it follows something stupid.
Lmao
Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading all these posts about not eating the meat of various critters, got me to thinking...... Who is closer to the real spirit of the mountain man, one who kills with a prb, and doesn't eat the meat, or one who kills using an AR type rifle, and does eat the meat of all the kills made??
Old 12-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Reading all these posts about not eating the meat of various critters, got me to thinking...... Who is closer to the real spirit of the mountain man, one who kills with a prb, and doesn't eat the meat, or one who kills using an AR type rifle, and does eat the meat of all the kills made??
The one who eats the meat to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.