Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
nitride metal treatment >

nitride metal treatment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

nitride metal treatment

Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default nitride metal treatment

fyi i just had my white .410 super 91 barreled action and all the metal parts treated and man they really look great anybody else have theres done. haven't shot it or been in the field yet so not sure how durable it is but the guy's that did it say's it's super tough ! it was a little pricey at 250 bucks but that's for everything including scope bases and every metal part and all the screws.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad more manufacturers don't use on their guns besides CVA.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Not nitride but my white thunderbolt got black iced.who did the finish
Old 12-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Too bad more manufacturers don't use on their guns besides CVA.
And LHR's Redemption which is now the T/C Strike.

Armornite™ Protectant

Protects the barrel & critical components from corrosion
I wonder what critical components are included. They imply its more than just the barrel.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-07-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

I wonder what critical components are included. They imply its more than just the barrel.
I don't know about the nitride finish yet...but I have two muzzleloaders that are black iced an sent off my 870 Remington .12ga. to be treated. The shotgun was black iced outside and all of the internal moving parts of the action.

Great durable finish!! Not as expensive as above either...
Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im a big fan of BlackIce. Several friends had it done and it looks awesome. Im hoping to get my 54-120 barrel done next year. My bolt is jeweled so im going to leave it alone until i can get one of the newer Lehigh made bolts.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have another super safari i built that i had black iced and i love the look pretty much the same as the nitride finish but the black ice has not been durable i already have some wear on the bolt area after only maybe 50 shots they said the nitride is as hard or harder than chrome ? yet to be seen i will try to figure out how to post some pics. i had h&m metal processing in akron ohio do it they were great to deal with and they got it done in a week ! all the parts are perfect!!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:58 PM
1874sharpsshooter

410 White is a mighty fine gun , now you made it even better . Post some pics of it so we can see her .

Old 12-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

I'm guessing the breech plug and primer adapter at the least. I'm not sure about the receiver, but if it is some alloy other than steel, it's probably not. I know the nitrided CVA rifles are just the barrel and breech plug, and possibly the firing pin bushing. The receiver definitely is not and is a black coated non steel alloy. The nitriding process appears to be ideal for muzzleloaders because it covers the inside of the barrel, as well as the outside, and since it is not a coating, doesn't add anything to the inside surface of the barrel. Nitrided stainless steel should be as good as it gets.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

.........the nitrided CVA rifles are just the barrel and breech plug, and possibly the firing pin bushing......
The reason i know the breech plugs are not nitride, is because i have drilled and tapped them, with standard high speed tooling, without any issues. The black colored CVA plugs cut just like the shiny plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.