Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
nitride metal treatment >

nitride metal treatment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

nitride metal treatment

Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I keep it simple. Bluing and oil.

Just like gramps did it.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would be interesting to use Blackhorn in one of the CVA with nitride barrel, and never clean it? Wonder if one would ever need to swab the barrel so for to get the bullet to the powder?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sbuff
The black ice has no sign of wear anyplace on my thunderbolt.I use 209 ignition, is it possible they are not as hot as #11 or even musket caps.the action was smooth before the ice, but now it's hard to believe it's even better. The customer service and response from black ice is superb too. I have no doubt it will last a long time and mine is over a stainless steel barrel.

I have been thinking of getting my TC X7 and ruger mini 30 iced.
i agree about the service at black ice lee is great to deal with!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It would be interesting to use Blackhorn in one of the CVA with nitride barrel, and never clean it? Wonder if one would ever need to swab the barrel so for to get the bullet to the powder?
i am going to try blackhorn for the first time when the new cva gets here along with those new federal easy load 275 gr sabots if you can call them that ? what i'm not going to try is never cleaning it ! we'll leave that to someone who forgets to clean his after being in a rain storm and doesn't clean it for a season !!! lol
Old 12-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure i'd never clean it, but not oiling it might be a good test.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i am going to try blackhorn for the first time when the new cva gets here along with those new federal easy load 275 gr sabots if you can call them that ? what i'm not going to try is never cleaning it ! we'll leave that to someone who forgets to clean his after being in a rain storm and doesn't clean it for a season !!! lol
Just got through cleaning the Optima Nitride barrel, two patches/both sides with Hoppes an she was shiney. I then used a brush then let it soak in awhile another two dry patches an all finished. I did put some S&W bore lubricant on a patch to be sure it won't rust. Not taking any chances here either! I just wiped down the outside probably wasn't necessary, but old habits...
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
......what i'm not going to try is never cleaning it ! we'll leave that to someone who forgets to clean his after being in a rain storm and doesn't clean it for a season !!! lol
Me, i wouldn't forget to clean the nitride barrel, i would not clean it on purpose.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see if one would ever have to swab, to get the bullet down the barrel, when using Blackhorn? Gee, i would really really like to know. Can only say, that after about 40 shots of Blackhorn, the bullet is still easy to load. Wonder if there is a limit?

Last summer, i cleaned my rifle almost every day; would have been interesting not to clean the barrel for the whole summer. Think of it, no worries about 'that first shot flier'.

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Banned

As ive said in the past...if cleaning your muzzy is hard for you to do...you are shooting the wrong kind of arm.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Me, i wouldn't forget to clean the nitride barrel, i would not clean it on purpose.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see if one would ever have to swab, to get the bullet down the barrel, when using Blackhorn? Gee, i would really really like to know. Can only say, that after about 40 shots of Blackhorn, the bullet is still easy to load. Wonder if there is a limit?

Last summer, i cleaned my rifle almost every day; would have been interesting not to clean the barrel for the whole summer. Think of it, no worries about 'that first shot flier'.

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing, because it's just a better gun.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not one person in this whole thread, wrote that cleaning their rifle was hard to do. My impression is, it would be harder for us shooters, not to clean our rifles.

The question remains unanswered: Using Blackhorn, how many shots could one take, before one needed to swab, in order to get the bullet to the powder? Yes, it is not really all that important to know, but still....

If i had a rifle with a nitride barrel, the answer might be available.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.