Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
nitride metal treatment >

nitride metal treatment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

nitride metal treatment

Old 12-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabinajiles
Since CVA sells a nitride BH 209 breech plug, I incorrectly assumed the black stock breech plug that came with the nitride rifles was also nitride treated. My bad. Have you ever tried to machine a nitride breech plug? I am curious about how much harder they actually are?
CVA doesn't sell a Nitride breech plug. It's just coated black.

They don't put the Nitride on the breech plug, because the threads would be too hard for the threads in the barrel. That's what they told me.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful rifles, looks like they did an awesome job! I really like the way they look

I wonder if the coatings are more for us than the rifles? What I mean...they look sweet when coated, and while they obviously they add a substantial protection factor....does a quality rifle actually "need" a coating for protection? I would say that in the vast majority of cases, No. I have alot of rifles, many that are old and have been used quite a bit. I've never had one that needed to be coated to be protected....basic care and cleaning has always done just fine... Center-fire or ML.

Not a put down on the coatings at all. And for ML rifles, I can see how it may actually be a great thing - considering how many people are lazy or stupid when it comes to cleaning their guns. It might save some guns that would have been toast in a hurry. I wonder how that Nitrade coating holds up to BP fouling.

Muley, do a field test and let us know
Old 12-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have any inlines anymore. Hopefully, I can just stay with a traditional setup this time.

I agree that i'm not sure if rifles need these coatings/treatments. I've never had a problem with good old bluing/browning.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Is that your home?... with that island kitchen seating and white padded chair. Looks like a nice place you have there.
Yes my house thanks !
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=WV Hunter;4232288]Beautiful rifles, looks like they did an awesome job! I really like the way they look

I wonder if the coatings are more for us than the rifles? What I mean...they look sweet when coated, and while they obviously they add a substantial protection factor....does a quality rifle actually "need" a coating for protection? I would say that in the vast majority of cases, No. I have alot of rifles, many that are old and have been used quite a bit. I've never had one that needed to be coated to be protected....basic care and cleaning has always done just fine... Center-fire or ML.

Not a put down on the coatings at all. And for ML rifles, I can see how it may actually be a great thing - considering how many people are lazy or stupid when it comes to cleaning their guns. It might save some guns that would have been toast in a hurry. I wonder how that Nitrade coating holds up to BP fouling.

Muley, do a field test and let us

Well I didn't need it on my .504 because I owned that rifle since new so it was in perfect condition I did that just for the looks but the .410 I got from somebody else and it had some rust on the outside only so after I restocked it to a safari and hunted this season with it I decided to have it nitride treated now I will take care of it properly and it will last for years !
Old 12-09-2015, 02:01 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer

Well I didn't need it on my .504 because I owned that rifle since new so it was in perfect condition I did that just for the looks but the .410 I got from somebody else and it had some rust on the outside only so after I restocked it to a safari and hunted this season with it I decided to have it nitride treated now I will take care of it properly and it will last for years !
Was the that the .410 you got from me ??? I could have sworn it was new and i dont remember any rust on it at all .

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 12-09-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Was the that the .410 you got from me ??? I could have sworn it was new and i dont remember any rust on it at all .
yeah that's the one i got from you remember somebody tried to glass bed the original stock and put that one piece scope base on it. yeah it had some very light surface rust on it. i thought you got that from some guy in new york ??
Old 12-09-2015, 02:31 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
yeah that's the one i got from you remember somebody tried to glass bed the original stock and put that one piece scope base on it. yeah it had some very light surface rust on it. i thought you got that from some guy in new york ??
yes thats correct . I got a bunch of Whites from him . Most were never fired . Then again i bought one gun from a guy on here that was suppose to be new, never fired and it came with a pitted barrel . I remember the odd scope base on that one dont know why anybody would do that .
Same guy that put scope bases on the one you did for me and they were pretty much permanently on there . Were was the rust ??? I guess i didnt see it ir i never would have sent that for sure

Old 12-09-2015, 02:34 PM
1874sharpsshooter

That one wasnt black iced?? For some reason i was thinking it was . I must be losing it . The other .410 i got from him is new and when i took it apart the rear lug is broke .

Old 12-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

I sure would like to have one of those CVA Accura MR with the Nitride Finish. I have been waiting to see if the Nitride had any of the flaking issues that the Previous CVA MR Muzzleloaders had. It seems they have resolved all of those issues from what I have gathered.

Problem is I don't need another Muzzleloader at the moment. I have been going back and updating my Optics on the ones I do have and its a handful just getting everything re zeroed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.