HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Grandson's Doe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/403046-grandsons-doe.html)

edmehlig 12-03-2015 05:33 PM

Grandson's Doe

Went hunting with my two grandsons and my son on PA's opening day this past Monday. My son and his son was in one tree stand about 100yds from us and me and my daughters son hunted in another double treestand. It was pretty slow with very little shooting. Around 9AM two does a 1.5yr old and fawn came walking by about 30 yds in front of us. My grandson asked should he shoot and I told him I think you can do better as I thought the 1.5yr old was a little small. Plus looking at the fawn it must have been a late born as it was real small. I told him the fawn might not survive with out its mother. So he lowered his rifle and just watched them go by. About an hour later my other grandson shot and we saw several deer run through the woods, but did not offer us a shot. The funny thing is they hung up in a small clump of woods just at the edge of a field and stayed there. I called my son and he said he thinks his son missed the big doe. The funny thing is she just kinda stayed in the thick brush and moved very little. My son's son saw her, but could not get a good shot at her and didn't want to wound her. So he just waited and hope she would offer him a better shot, that never came. My son told me that if my other grandson who was hunting with me could get a shot at her to take it. Well what seemed like forever, my grandson finally saw her and had a hard time keeping the cross hairs steady. I told him to lower the rifle, take a few breaths, rest his one arm on the railing and just relax. Well it must have worked caused he shot shortly there after. With the smoke and all he asked if he got her. I said I couldn't tell with the smoke, brushe etc, plus I did not see her fall, run off or nothing. So I quickly reloaded his ML (White 451 shooting my 350gr HP with 65gr of 777-3F). With that my son called me on the phone and said "GREAT SHOT", at the shot she just dropped where she was standing.

Well we all got down from our tree stands and walked over to her. As it turned out, my son's son actually did hit her, but caught her in the stomach which is why she probably did not move much. My daughters son shot caught her in the neck. I asked him where did he aim and he said behind the shoulder about midway. So a Great Shot turned out to be a Lucky Shot, but I got to give the kid credit at least he was honest.

cayugad 12-03-2015 08:09 PM

Well young people tend to be lucky it seems. At least he did't stretch the story. Congratulations young man. Also the fact of what he was shooting made a big difference when the shot made contact. That is a great shooting bullet. The ones you sent me I was shooting them with 65 grains of T7 2f and they were boring. Boring a large hole in the bulls eye that is. Just real good shooting out of my .451 Whitetail also.

That looks like a real nice eating doe there. I bet them are fork tender steaks on her. Again, congratulations.

WV Hunter 12-04-2015 03:25 AM

Awesome. Congrats on a memorable hunt! :D

mackesr 12-04-2015 08:01 AM

Congrats to you and your grandson. It all worked out to be a memorable hunt with some great eating to boot!

sbuff 12-04-2015 10:00 AM

Congrats .

quigleysharps4570 12-04-2015 10:33 AM

My congrats to him.

toytruck 12-04-2015 03:16 PM

Congrats to the grandson!! Another one falls to the .451 White, gotta love that!!

edmehlig 12-04-2015 06:14 PM

Thanks Guys! Yea it's great sitting in the blind with him. Especially when a deer shows up and I see him getting excited and nervous. It took him a few minutes to calm himself down. He had to take a few deep breaths, put the rifle down once as he could not stop shaking and a few words from me to take your time, keep calm etc etc. But the kid did good. The unfortunate part for me is he claimed my M97 aka UC's "Baby Magnum" for himself. It's amazing how my rifles seemed to get claimed by my grandkids????

Anyway, the wife asked me the other day "When are you going to get your own deer". I just wink at her and said I did. Yep seeing the expression on their faces, excitement etc is worth it to me.

super_hunt54 12-04-2015 09:49 PM

LOL Ed, you got the same dang problem I got!!! Had to put my foot down with the Daughter this year trying to adopt my MLer. Dang kids always seem to find a way to walk me dang rifles to a new home!!! Told her and the rest of the grubbers it was time for them to be getting their OWN dang firearms! Mine will be going to them soon enough for cripes sake! Of course that doesn't apply to the grandkids :D My mission in life is to spoil them plumb rotten then leave this old earth with a big ole grin thinking "paybacks a B aint it " :D

edmehlig 12-05-2015 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4231690)
LOL Ed, you got the same dang problem I got!!! Had to put my foot down with the Daughter this year trying to adopt my MLer. Dang kids always seem to find a way to walk me dang rifles to a new home!!! Told her and the rest of the grubbers it was time for them to be getting their OWN dang firearms! Mine will be going to them soon enough for cripes sake! Of course that doesn't apply to the grandkids :D My mission in life is to spoil them plumb rotten then leave this old earth with a big ole grin thinking "paybacks a B aint it " :D

Glad I'm not the only one. LOL I think the only rifle of mine that I can still claim is mine is my White .451 M98 and my Flintlock. But I think that is because it may be a little too long and heavy for them right now. A couple of more years from now I may be looking to buy some new toys. That may not be so bad though. GRIN