Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Only able to take one shot without cleaning >

Only able to take one shot without cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Only able to take one shot without cleaning

Old 11-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My money is on fit. Try a thinner sabot as suggested and let us know. Even with pyrodex once you have the proper fit (not too tight, not super loose) you should be able to shoot a few times without having an issue loading. My buddy has an older TC with a real tight bore. We switched him to crush ribs, he's fine now for a couple/few shots if needed. Before he couldn't even load a 2nd shot at all without swabbing.

Personally in my Knights w/pyrodex even though I don't really need to, I still swab with a spit patch in the field if time allows. On the range, I always swab between shots for consistency.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you like the bullet sabot combo you are shooting look into fire lapping your barrel not only will it loosen up that tight bore but it will make your gun more accurate and easier to clean to boot !!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

With a sabot and bullet combo, one shot is all I worry about...A couple damp patches, a dry one and I can load again, I just carry them in a zip lock back in a pocket and I'm good to go...
Old 12-01-2015, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
With a sabot and bullet combo, one shot is all I worry about...A couple damp patches, a dry one and I can load again, I just carry them in a zip lock back in a pocket and I'm good to go...
I carry em' under my hat and rub them against my hair before driving the patch down the bore. Our wee-bit hair oils works good, makes a good rust inhibitor too.

My hunting bud does the under-the-hat thing with his bore-buttered Black Diamond XR. But his hair is full of Brylcreem, which believe it or not, is used as a patch lubricant with roundballers.

OK-OK! I'm just BS'ing you on mine and my hunting bud's habits. Isn't it April 1st today?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to wear Brylcreem as a youngster. Ahh.... the good old greasy days. They lied about it not being greasy.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you need to try some different sabot/bullet fit combinations as has been suggested above.

The .452 .451 with the Black Crush Ribbed is a good one to try on tight fitting barrels.