Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod? >

CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Spike

Default CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod?

2nd CVA, consistent results. Accura V2 is super accurate. Purchased the LR model. Incredible. Grouping just barely bigger than a quarter @ 100yrds. All impact points are touching.

Another thing that is consistent, the components, well, outside of the Begara barrel, CVA cuts cost with the quality of their components. (I guess the shoulder strap is an exception.)

Within the first hour of use at the range, the ramrod looked like somebody set to whittlin' on it with a pocket knife. The rod was used in a manor that is consistent with the mfg's instructions. I didn't drag it through rocks, or do anything outside of use it to load and clean the weapon. Not sure what kind of paint, or coating, or black marker, or crayon CVA uses, but there is no intersection with the word quality when it come to the appearance of the ramrod. To CVA's credit, it appears that the ramrod is more than adequate when it comes to durability. But it just looks like crap with a capital C. And actually, on second thought, as fast as the surface of the ramrod is degrading, I can't help but think that I will soon be at risk of scratching up the weapon with the uneven surface of the fouled-up stick.

Searched the web for a 3rd party ramrod. The Easton product produced for the Knight rifles looks great. But those rods are manufactured for a 27" barrel max.

May I please have a suggestion for a good quality ramrod (for a 30" barrel) that is durable and looks good?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Here's one that will get the job done and you can custom fit for rod and spin jag to get your 30 inch you need. spin jag is 2 1/2 inch's
http://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php
Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

the ramrod is hitting the crown and rifling. I'd suggest looking into a bore guide.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
the ramrod is hitting the crown and rifling. I'd suggest looking into a bore guide.
A bore guide for loading? My suggestion would be to learn how to load properly. Unless that Ramrod is flimsy as all getout the only way he is hitting the muzzle or rifling is he is dragging it himself by pushing at an angle. That will play hell on a crown after a while. Of course I wouldn't totally disregard the notion that the ramrod is flimsy. CVA isn't known for the stoutest of materials being used.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yep. It appears you are shaving the rod against the edge of the crown. Not good for the crown. It can be avoided by making a circle with your thumb and index finger right against the muzzle to hold the rod in the center of the bore. Otherwise, a ramrod guide is called for.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search...muzzle%20guide
Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

they use solid aluminum ramrods now.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to the hardware store, buy 3/8 aluminum doll, cut to proper length for gun, lock in drill press chuck, run down close to vice, turn press vice side ways and adjust to position of doll so you can lock doll down with out moving it, release chuck and put a #21 drill in it drill ends of doll the tap with #10 - 32 tap. Now you have a light low cost ramrod.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start doing a better job with that factory ramrod and just buy a can of Krylon paint if you want it look nice.

I recommend you buy a range rod of good quality for bench use. No need to screw up the factory rod for bench shooting. The Knight range rod is said to be excellent. I use a double ended .50.45 rod that I bought from Cain's. Here's one they have now - http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=18060

Check out their Super Rods - Hunter models while there.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no problem with my Accura V2 rod either. But I hate an aluminum rod. In the otherwise quiet woods they sound horrible if they bump any metal on the rifle and "sing" when you take them out of the bore. I much prefer the solid pvc rods. Yeah they are flimsy but I have no trouble loading or cleaning any of my MLs with them.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

The solid aluminum ramrod CVA uses is purposely made of softer material than your barrel so it will wear, and not the crown of your barrel, if you do scrape it while loading or unloading. I would suggest that you get a solid brass range rod to use for cleaning and most of your loading. Sand down your rifle's damaged ramrod, repaint it and only use it for reloading in the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.