Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Trigger group on CVA Optima? >

Trigger group on CVA Optima?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trigger group on CVA Optima?

Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Trigger group on CVA Optima?

I'm a new member here. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. I've kind of decided to go for the CVA Optima .50 instead of the Accura V2. Mainly because the Optima feels better when handling it, but also because it's less weight to pack around while elk hunting. A big concern for me is the trigger pull on the Optima out of the box is atrocious. It's a good 8 to 10lbs and has a lot of creep and take-up. I know the Accura V2 has an adjustable trigger...and here's my question...can I add the adjustable trigger to my Optima since these two models are so closely related? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two models is the barrel length, the trigger groups and the "Bergara" name is stamped on the Accura V2 barrel.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

Ive never seen a new optima with an 8 to 10lb trigger pull, they are normally set at the factory at 3 to 3.5lbs max. The guns can be filled with a lot of rust preventative grease which can make the trigger feel heavier than it really is, but if the one you are handling has a trigger like that, have the store bring out multiple rifles and find one that you like.

A lot of folks that buy guns think they can just wipe off the factory oil and they are good to go. They dont take into consideration the greases inside of the trigger group, breech plugs and barrels that keep rust out while its on the boat or store shelf.

I always take a new muzzy down to the max of my ability and use Gun Scrubber to blow out the actions to remove grease and any machine shavings, then reoil with a light coat of Barricade.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Spike

Thanks MD54. You make some good points and I'll keep all that in mind. I did a few test pulls at the store and it's definitely heavier than 7 lbs. I have no way to measure but I personally think it's more than 8 lbs. I'll check and see if they have anymore Optima's in the box in storage and give one of those a test. If as you say the original trigger can be fixed with a cleaning I'm most assuredly "in" with that. Going back to my original question... I still wonder if the Acura V2 trigger group would drop into the Optima? If so that would be plan B.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Banned

no, it will not drop in, its all pins and springs, much different from the V2. The optima is a great rifle. Find one with a decent trigger if they let you and you'll have a solid rifle. During cleaning of multiple guns ive owned and worked on to set up, almost all of the new ones had shavings leftover on the inside.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

i bought an optima over the accura for the exact same reasons, felt better, shouldered better and is very comparable despite the cost difference. i would go with what the above poster mentioned and get a second and third opinion with some trigger pulls. mine is definitely nowhere close to 7lbs. more similar to my 3.5lb tikka trigger.

Last edited by JohnnyHildo; 11-22-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

See that's strange. My Optima came with around a 3-31/2 pound trigger, no creep, and breaks clean. In fact I was very impressed with it. I would take the thing back to the store and try different rifles until you get one with the pull you like. If that is possible. If not call CVA and tell them. I am sure they will make it right with you.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

My son just got an Optima V2. Trigger pull is 3 lbs 6 ozs on my scale and clean and crisp, with no creep or mush. It is almost as good as the trigger on my Accura V2. Try another Optima.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Optima came with a fine factory trigger. I think you have a bad part.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 2010 Optima and a 2013 Wolf. Both triggers are great!!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Spike

My Optima V2 is very light with no creep... that has to just be a bad one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.