Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT a little

Old 11-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT a little

Had the opportunity to harvest a buck, using the 250gr FTX bullet. I will say that bullet performed at 70yds, with only a 30yd run. The bullet has a MV of 2,250fps from the rifle. Perfect entrance, maybe about 1.25" exit. In the 30yd dash after the shot, the trail wasn't hard to follow and you surely didn't have to look down. The trees up to head height were just covered. There's no doubt that at that velocity, the Hornady FTX bullet performed perfect.
The OT part is, the scope on the muzz is at Leupold, so I used the "Game Breaker" .450 Bushmaster. Point is, the bullet performed excellent. I have no complaints with the FTX at this point.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Had the opportunity to harvest a buck, using the 250gr FTX bullet. I will say that bullet performed at 70yds, with only a 30yd run. The bullet has a MV of 2,250fps from the rifle. Perfect entrance, maybe about 1.25" exit. In the 30yd dash after the shot, the trail wasn't hard to follow and you surely didn't have to look down. The trees up to head height were just covered. There's no doubt that at that velocity, the Hornady FTX bullet performed perfect.
The OT part is, the scope on the muzz is at Leupold, so I used the "Game Breaker" .450 Bushmaster. Point is, the bullet performed excellent. I have no complaints with the FTX at this point.
Probably the worst bullet I've ever used. Maybe more so then a power belt. But I shot them at lower velocities. I'm glad you had success with them. Congratulations on your harvest!!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

never seen them, shot them, or heard much about them. Glad to hear your results. Congratulations.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
never seen them, shot them, or heard much about them. Glad to hear your results. Congratulations.
Cayu, those are the bullets used in that Hornady leverevolution ammo. Softer polymer tip they developed so people with lever action, tube magazines, could have a better BC bullet. You know how recoil and a tube fed mag loaded with pointed bullets isn't a good combo I tried them out in my 30-30 and they did give it a longer viable range. Never tried them out on a deer though. Just bought one box of ammo (only box I've bought of factory ammo in YEARS) but didn't get another box to hunt with. At that particular time they didn't offer the FTX bullets for sale as a component. Now they sell them as "monoflex" I think for the 30-30 in 140 grain. May actually try them.