HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Smokie Savage ML (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/402702-smokie-savage-ml.html)

MountainDevil54 11-16-2015 01:28 PM

Smokie Savage ML

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like another smokie went up.

Doesn't matter if its made to shoot smokeless or not, some folks just do not need to be loading their own ammo, especially when dealing with smokeless powder.

Someone posted this on FB.

HatchieLuvr 11-16-2015 02:06 PM

MORONS like whoever did that, are the reason Savage quit building that awesome gun! I've been hunting with my Sav ML-2 10 for over a decade. My FIL & best bud also have years in the woods with their ML-2s & all of us still have our fingers & eyes. I'm REALLY torqued that the morons have caused Sav to stop building the guns because now these guns are bringing $1200-$1500+. I REALLY want one for my 15yr old son but I'm not spending that kind of $ on a $500 gun because of idiots like whoever blew that one. :mad:

They must've loaded it HOT to even blow the bell off the scope. To bad they survived, the genepool in much of today's society needs chlorine added to it! :hit:

Triple Se7en 11-16-2015 02:21 PM

I hate reading threads that expose blown-up muzzleloaders. Here in Lower Michigan, right where I hunt, we need a dozen more ML hunters to move late season deer.

Sure hope the injured Savage shooter recovers 100% and continues to enjoy MLs ...... but more sensibly next time.

Grouse45 11-16-2015 05:09 PM

That's not a factory Savage ML2. It wasn't offered in that camo in the smokeless version anyway. Not sure about the one they sold to Cabelas for subs?? Is there a link to that or just more B.S..

After looking at the picture more it doesn't even look like a ML

MountainDevil54 11-16-2015 05:42 PM

the breech plug sticking through the section of the barrel doesnt make it look like a muzzle loader?

Grouse45 11-16-2015 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4228652)
the breech plug sticking through the section of the barrel doesnt make it look like a muzzle loader?

I see the breech plug now that you say that. No ramrod thimbles, not a factory camo, probably more doings of Toby but it doesn't matter either way. It's like CVA'S it old news.

MountainDevil54 11-16-2015 06:07 PM

actually it was just recent. It was posted by the guys friend. It was a double load and he lost a finger as a result.

Grouse45 11-16-2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4228655)
actually it was just recent. It was posted by the guys friend. It was a double load and he lost a finger as a result.

Wow, powder bullet powder bullet? Or one charge and two bullets?

MountainDevil54 11-16-2015 06:23 PM

yep, powder & bullet x2

miketodd58 11-16-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4228624)
Looks like another smokie went up.

Doesn't matter if its made to shoot smokeless or not, some folks just do not need to be loading their own ammo, especially when dealing with smokeless powder.

Someone posted this on FB.

That action looks like you could screw a new tube and be back to shooting tomorrow, not that I would trust it,

Probably what saved him. Those actions are built like a tank.

miketodd58 11-16-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr (Post 4228628)
MORONS like whoever did that, are the reason Savage quit building that awesome gun! I've been hunting with my Sav ML-2 10 for over a decade. My FIL & best bud also have years in the woods with their ML-2s & all of us still have our fingers & eyes. I'm REALLY torqued that the morons have caused Sav to stop building the guns because now these guns are bringing $1200-$1500+. I REALLY want one for my 15yr old son but I'm not spending that kind of $ on a $500 gun because of idiots like whoever blew that one. :mad:

They must've loaded it HOT to even blow the bell off the scope. To bad they survived, the genepool in much of today's society needs chlorine added to it! :hit:

I look at the Savage MLII and it looks like a outdated 15 year old design compared to the newer cleaner lines of the current Muzzleloaders on the market. It's fairly heavy at 7.5 lbs out of the box. Add more for SS and add more weight for Laminated. I think a SS Laminated Thumbhole is right at 9 lbs.

It requires several tools to take down to clean and it requires frequent replacement of the vent liner. Every 25 rounds to 100 rounds depending on load data.

Then there is the smokeless learning curve. Heat related sabot issue, cold weather impact changes with smokeless. The list goes on.

There are so many newer and more modern designs with tool less removal breech plugs for ease of cleaning and with modern propellants like BH209 I don't see why anyone would want to start out with one today. Even if they were $500 they are over priced when you can buy a TC, CVA or even a Knight for less money.

Gm54-120 11-28-2015 11:52 AM

Do you have the Facebook link. Someone is claiming there was only 40gr of powder and no projectiles or sabots in the barrel. Its also been said he lost his entire hand.

BarnesAddict 11-28-2015 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4230611)
Do you have the Facebook link. Someone is claiming there was only 40gr of powder and no projectiles or sabots in the barrel. Its also been said he lost his entire hand.

There may have two instances but to answer your question:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205248626303622/

Search down the page until you see the photo.

super_hunt54 11-28-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4230611)

Whoever was saying that GM was an anti that has no clue about firearms. Nothing above the powder=no pressure. You would get a little POOF. It would be just the same as pouring some powder in an ash tray and lighting it off. I'm sure you knew that and was just demonstrating both ends of the idiocy scale that are often stated on subjects such as these. :D

Gm54-120 11-28-2015 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4230618)
There may have two instances but to answer your question:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205248626303622/

Search down the page until you see the photo.

A guy posted photo of the same kaboom on MML's forum. Gun is the same. Shoes in both pics are the same.

Something is VERY fishy about this story.

Bummer, that page requires a Facebook account and i dont do Facebook.

BarnesAddict 11-28-2015 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4230628)
A guy posted photo of the same kaboom on MML's forum. Gun is the same. Shoes in both pics are the same.

Something is VERY fishy about this story.

Bummer, that page requires a Facebook account and i dont do Facebook.

Quotes are from Berry:

"One of the guys I shoot with is friends with the victim. He double loaded powder a two bullets." "This fellow lost one finger and was air lifted from catoosa WMA".

Gm54-120 11-28-2015 07:10 PM

Did you read the post in the MML smokeless section?

BarnesAddict 11-29-2015 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4230681)
Did you read the post in the MML smokeless section?

Yes. I think its like many things, talked about before facts get totally known. All I see is that muzzleloader is destroyed and its not the only one in the last couple years from guys shooting smokeless propellant or attempting to.

cayugad 11-29-2015 07:32 AM

It is a shame any accident like this has to happen, smokeless or not. Its also a good reminder as to why we as muzzleloader hunters have to be even more careful and sure of our rifles. I guess we just have to be aware, these accidents happen and if you're careful, can and could be avoided.

ourway77 12-27-2015 03:53 PM

When in doubt dismantle and remove if you think you over loaded don't pull the trigger to find out. It's things like this the gun grabber just love to hear. I have been at the range and some one started talking to me and I forgot did I load it or not? always rely on the witness mark

Muskyhunter1 11-15-2016 02:59 PM

Looks like another idiot who didn't what he was doing.

Double charge or too much powder. I have had mine for 10 years. Got 4 other buddies who got them. We are all accomplished reloaders and still have all our fingers. They have even killed a few moose, bear and deer too.

ourway77 12-01-2016 03:22 AM

Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem

BarnesAddict 12-01-2016 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by ourway77 (Post 4283598)
Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem

I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when

Grouse45 12-01-2016 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4283602)
I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of it, its a matter of when

I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.

BarnesAddict 12-01-2016 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4283611)
I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.

Agreed. I have witness marks on all my rods. The safest I feel is always on my own range, although its only 100. I'm always very concerned when I go to the club to shoot long range. Loading a muzzleloader around others, especially after hanging targets at 300 and 400yds, gets a lot of attention and questions. I sometimes have to double and triple check. I always go during the week when most are working, just to try to be alone. Also, I just can't push out a load like most, so paying close attention is a must.