HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Smokie Savage ML (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/402702-smokie-savage-ml.html)

Muskyhunter1 11-15-2016 02:59 PM

Looks like another idiot who didn't what he was doing.

Double charge or too much powder. I have had mine for 10 years. Got 4 other buddies who got them. We are all accomplished reloaders and still have all our fingers. They have even killed a few moose, bear and deer too.

ourway77 12-01-2016 03:22 AM

Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem

BarnesAddict 12-01-2016 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by ourway77 (Post 4283598)
Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem

I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when

Grouse45 12-01-2016 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4283602)
I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of it, its a matter of when

I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.

BarnesAddict 12-01-2016 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4283611)
I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.

Agreed. I have witness marks on all my rods. The safest I feel is always on my own range, although its only 100. I'm always very concerned when I go to the club to shoot long range. Loading a muzzleloader around others, especially after hanging targets at 300 and 400yds, gets a lot of attention and questions. I sometimes have to double and triple check. I always go during the week when most are working, just to try to be alone. Also, I just can't push out a load like most, so paying close attention is a must.