Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The "downside" of One Shot >

The "downside" of One Shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The "downside" of One Shot

Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do like the rich folks do in that instance. They rent a helicoper with a hook to retrieve the deer for you.

Actually they get on their I-Phone and call the private hunting preserve front office, seeking some hired labor to hook the deer to the preserve's golf cart. Then pay a kitchen staff butcher $50 to gut the deer.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Yeah good luck to you too Steve! Maybe this evening will be better around here.

When I go, I typically am holding out for a nice buck...I pass up all the small bucks. I usually shoot 2-3-4 does during the season (mostly in WV) while waiting for the nice buck to show. He usually doesn't...LOL, but I keep trying!
You brought me luck Mike!! I killed a huge broken antler buck last evening, with the Rem '06, just about the same size as my 10 point on election day. This buck had one side broken off at hairline the other 3" up. I thought it was a big doe at first. He is a old deer, face shrunken in, but he is fat an corn fed. I have two doe tags left for next week. One more deer will about do it for me this year.

I'm getting about too old to get these old heavy deer out anymore...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
You brought me luck Mike!! I killed a huge broken antler buck last evening, with the Rem '06, just about the same size as my 10 point on election day. This buck had one side broken off at hairline the other 3" up. I thought it was a big doe at first. He is a old deer, face shrunken in, but he is fat an corn fed. I have two doe tags left for next week. One more deer will about do it for me this year.

I'm getting about too old to get these old heavy deer out anymore...
Good deal Steve! Congrats!

I hate it when that happens though...buddy of mine killed a really nice sized buck at our place in WV a few years ago, both horns were shed (early) and he thought it was a doe. I'm sure it was a nice one based on the size of the holes in his head. Yours were broke...I hope you run into the one who busted him up!

I'm still at it, no luck yet. Have seen some does (not many) and just 2 small bucks. Just not much going on at my place. Somewhere they are stacked like cordwood I guess... no food here this fall other than browse. Hopefully it will pick up, still haven't seen any rubs or scrapes which is odd for mid Nov.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Good deal Steve! Congrats!

..I hope you run into the one who busted him up.
I would only be able to take his picture....my two buck tags are used for this year. My son is coming in this Sunday to hunt with me for next week so hopefully he will see a nice buck.

Do you have any food plots on your place? They were hitting this corn field hard till they cut the corn last week. I still see some ears that were left by the picker, so maybe next week it will still be good hunting for us.

Good luck Mike, it will happen!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

I want to hunt where the OP was hunting. Sounds like great action. Congrats on a good year.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man, you've had some great days afield! I wish my hunting this year has been even close to that. Where in VA are you hunting?
You are right, have had some GREAT days afield and I'm not complaining a bit! It's just that the times I HAVE passed on does I have not gotten the big buck and the ONE time I didn't pass he was right behind her!!

I have hunted the following counties this season: Craig, Powhatan, Charles City, Goochland. I usually see the most deer in Goochland but I haven't seen ONE this season!

Originally Posted by cayugad
Sounds like you had some great hunting so far and are filling the freezer just fine. As for a "Truly Big Buck" ... I know the feeling. One year here it was "does only season." And what walks in front of me but one of the nicest bucks I'd ever seen in the woods. I mean a real heart stopper. And as he walked out, I thought ... next year buddy. And you too know now, where he lives. You'll get him. Hang in there.
Yes, freezer is full already! Two doe tags and a buck tag left and I'm happy to be giving meat away this year.

Originally Posted by toytruck
I'm a meat hunter, if its a mature or nice size deer and legal its gonna take a ride home with me. If I get a chance at a bigger antler buck vs less antlered I will try for the big boy, cause he has more meat on his bones.

Mike, I didn't go out this morning, but will be in a corn field this evening. Good luck maybe this is the day for you!!

One thing I like about the one shot of a muzzleloader or bow is it makes one tend to wait for the best possible shot in order to connect, at least that's the way it is for me.
Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've had 3-4 occasions from 1975 when I started hunting with muzzleloaders to the present that I saw a huge buck that I could have killed if I had been using my bolt action...It happens, no big deal...Some of my most exciting hunts have been with the flintlock I made myself, shooting a big old doe with the balls I made as well...

It's about the hunt, the challenge and not the antlers to me, I see roasts, not antlers...
Yes, my wife reminded me WHY I got into hunting in the first place…to put the most organic meat you can find on the dinner table with no middle man! I've only been doing it for about 6 years now and I was terrible at first…would go whole seasons with seeing only a few deer, then I got the hang of it. So while filling the freezer is the goal it's usually easily met now…so I don't mind a little indulgence in finding some nice horns. And I have now seen two AMAZING sets of horns (for my area) in a manner of days that I just couldn't take!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Horns are nice. But they ain't very tasty no matter how long you cook em! I've been hunting a long time. This is my 51st year. I've shot a couple nice buck but never a real bruiser. Oh, I've seen them. But I was usually archery hunting and they were out of range. I've got them on my game cameras too. A couple years ago I got a pic of one so big it made me almost gasp when I saw the pic. A whitetail about 25" wide, 10 solid log main frame points with stickers on both beams. I hunted all year for him and never saw him again. I hunt public land exclusively and word gets around. No one ever laid claim to shooting him. So I presume he is still around. But at my age, just being out is pleasure enough. I have a freezer full of bison and moose from previous hunts so I can be particular what I shoot. But the way I see it, if I have to work for a shot, be it a doe or any legal buck, its a trophy in my eye and I don't care what anyone thinks.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO

.... Goochland....

.....Yes, freezer is full already!

...... And I have now seen two AMAZING sets of horns (for my area) in a manner of days that I just couldn't take!
Goochland, as in Amelia?

Recently took a good look in our freezer and there isn't space to hold a whole deer. Need to eat some of that to make room, lest I'll be giving away more venison this year.

Seeing them is good, as you know they are there. I call that motivation.
Off Topic-some of us VA. hunters need to rendezvous at a central location and do some huntin' together.(Next year) Anyone game?

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-18-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Off Topic-some of us VA. hunters need to rendezvous at a central location and do some huntin' together.(Next year) Anyone game?
Do you have a good place to hunt east of BR? I would be willing to give it a try an meet some of you all. I hate wasting my east of BR tag...
Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I hunt with my muzzleloader or bow most of the time; it's very rare that I'll actually use a centerfire rifle even during rifle season. I've lately learned that using your "one shot" can simply be a crap shoot!

Location A (2/day bag limit) - First time hunting there (either sex day), a doe walks in first thing and I let her pass by. A big fork horn follows shortly and I let him go too, nothing after that. No big deal, though I do love does.
I used to make that mistake. I leaned that if a buck is following a doe, don't let it go if you have a doe tag. Shoot her and the buck will still come in and stop by her and you shoot him. That is if he is what you want. Like I have said, I'm a meat hunter and I like the does for the sweet meat. The bucks are for bone hunting!!!