Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Range Session With The Swamp Dragon in .45 Caliber >

First Range Session With The Swamp Dragon in .45 Caliber

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Range Session With The Swamp Dragon in .45 Caliber

Old 11-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default First Range Session With The Swamp Dragon in .45 Caliber

As mentioned in a recent post, I've set up a .45 caliber barrel for the Swamp Dragon. The barrel is a Knight cut-off from Green Mountain that I acquired a few years back.

Yes, it was free. I'd bought one of their cut-offs and they sent this one along with it. The one I bought was clean with no screw holes. I assume they sent this one also just to get rid of it and they didn't want to sell it that way.

And yes, the actual rate of twist is 1:19. I didn't believe it at first. But I've checked it dozens of times on different days and it always comes out the same.

Though a bit unsightly, the screw holes are not detrimental to function. I took care of them by cutting short lengths of silver solder wire, inserting the little plugs in the screw holes and tapping them with a hammer to flatten them like rivets. A final dressing with a fine file and the holes are much less visible.

I had high hopes this barrel would shoot Ed Mehlig's heavy conicals well. And those are what I shot for this range session.

After getting the new barrel (and scope) sighted in at 25 yards, I set a target out at the 50 yard mark. The first five shots were with the .451/350 grain Gould mold hollow points. They fit the bore perfectly. Here's the target.

Naturally I was quite pleased with that. Then I took five shots with Ed's .451/465 grain flat nose bullets. Here's that target.

Once again - quite pleasing.

So I put a target out at 100 yards and repeated the process - five shots with each bullet. And things went a bit down hill.

Here's the 350 grain 100 yard target.

And the 465 grain 100 yard target.

Dang. I was really disappointed. I truly expected groups of two inches at 100 yards, and got almost double that with the 350's and more than double with the 465's.

Because the 350's seemed to have the best potential, I shot two more targets with them at 100 yards. Here are those targets.

Well, at least the group size is consistent. There were no scope adjustments between those two targets. Placing one target on top of the other shows that the ten shots combined formed a 4" group. I consider that the outer limit for hunting accuracy. I could live with it, but wouldn't be happy about it.

Now I realize a little load tweaking might tighten up those groups significantly. Maybe FFFg powder instead of FFg would change things, as would a load of 75 or 70 grains. I haven't given up hope yet. Also as mentioned in my bad day post, I was not happy with the scope picture at 100 yards. One thing for sure, the 4X ProDiamond is going back on the Dragon.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-12-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Van, all I ever shot with my 451 White's is 3F power. Hopefully between switching to 3F and a different scope will improve things.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good work Semi. No (forced) drinking after that session

Based on your 50yd groups, it wouldn't surprise me if you can tweak your load and tighten your 100 up.

Nice job on the hole filling... gotta love a free barrel, especially a GM!

Last edited by WV Hunter; 11-12-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, based on that 50 yard group, I fail to see how it's the load. HAS to be the scope or the shooter. OR that bullet is over spun. (YES you CAN over spin a bullet before some of you guy's set to jump). Over spinning would really shine out with a lead connie after obturation which may or may not bring out the tiniest bit of imbalance. Displacement of lead to one side or the other isn't usually a problem out to 150 yards or so with a typical rate of twist but that 1:19 may just be a weeeeee bit quick for a lead connie and showing a possible imbalance. Just a thought.