Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage 10ML-II

Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Savage 10ML-II

Do any of you guys have a Savage smokeless powder ML? Mine is the Savage 10 ML-II with laminate stock. If so how do you like it. I have had one for several years now & will never go back to the conventional inline ML.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ljgregorysr190
Do any of you guys have a Savage smokeless powder ML? Mine is the Savage 10 ML-II with laminate stock. If so how do you like it. I have had one for several years now & will never go back to the conventional inline ML.
I've had several in the past, unfortunately I sold them. Am looking for another one, they are great shooters! I still like my CVA Apex w/BH209 it does a great job also. Hard to beat smokeless!

JP
Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ljgregorysr190
I had one , sold it to someone on here .
Not much on smokeless . And i have other muzzys i like much better

Old 11-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage you have is very good. What load are you using in it? I've owned a few of them. I regret selling my HB Savage a few years back.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Spike

I shoot 44.5 gr of VihtaVouri, with a 250 gr T/C PTE bullet, & a MMP Sabot made by Muzzeload Magnum Products in Arkansas.
This the flattest most accurate shooting ML I have ever had my hands on. It will stack'em @ 100 yds. I set a 3" high @ 100yds zero for my Leupold. At 200 yds it is dead on. I have killed at 220 yds with no hold over.
Grouse, you should have held on to that gun, I think Savage has stopped production on them altogether.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had one in 50cal sold it. Nice rifle but heavy. I also have one with a 45cal Pacnor super match grade barrel. Its no where near as load picky and it can shoot far flatter than the 50cal. It still a total pig of a rifle so its a range queen. My ULA 50cal is the only smokeless ML i still use for hunting. Hard to beat a 7lb ready to hunt ML that can use smokeless.

Once you try one of the aftermarket 45cal barrels, you probably wont go back to a OEM 50cal barrel.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-10-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I had one in 50cal sold it. Nice rifle but heavy. I also have one with a 45cal Pacnor super match grade barrel. Its no where near as load picky and it can shoot far flatter than the 50cal. It still a total pig of a rifle so its a range queen. My ULA 50cal is the only smokeless ML i still use for hunting. Hard to beat a 7lb ready to hunt ML that can use smokeless.

Once you try one of the aftermarket 45cal barrels, you probably wont go back to a OEM 50cal barrel.
Solid and Heavy were my impressions about them as well. Heated up pretty quick too so shooting tight groups could get frustrating. Once you got around the smokeless curve and learned to let them cool down compared to a smoker they shot pretty darn good.

They seem a bit dated compared next to some of the newer models that are out today. I much prefer the tool less designs that are out today. With that said I think if I were to go out on a hunt of a lifetime out west for a week long hunt it might be a MZ of choice.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once you go sabotless, cool down is not really needed as much. Parker BE over 2600fps is a cake walk with a 45cal SML sabotless. 3000fps is even doable in the right build.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Solid and Heavy were my impressions about them as well. Heated up pretty quick too so shooting tight groups could get frustrating. Once you got around the smokeless curve and learned to let them cool down compared to a smoker they shot pretty darn good.

They seem a bit dated compared next to some of the newer models that are out today. I much prefer the tool less designs that are out today. With that said I think if I were to go out on a hunt of a lifetime out west for a week long hunt it might be a MZ of choice.

Another friend here bought one & tried to zero his scope in 80 degree temps. It was all over the paper, he was cussin like a drunk sailor. We told him to wait till cooler temps came around to do this. He did & all went well.
The smokeless Savages don't perform well in warm weather at all.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Factory Savage barrels leave a lot to be desired. Mine was fine but ive seen several that were pretty bad. The aftermarket barrels are far less load picky.

The best thing to ever happen to the MLII was Rick Bibby and the Pacnor 45 replacement barrels he helped design/test. Now you can get them from Brux and McGowen too.