Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leaving Muzzleloader Loaded for a week? >

Leaving Muzzleloader Loaded for a week?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leaving Muzzleloader Loaded for a week?

Old 11-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
WV, higher humidity areas succumb to "sweating" problems with temperature variations. I've brought rifles in after being out in the cold (and around here it gets freaking COLD!) and could sit there and watch the water bead up on my barrel. It's also a problem if you are running a humidifier in the house.
My wife rusted the heck out of a M96 by bringing it inside on a very cold day and leaving it in the case. I pulled it out of the case the same day and we were able to restore its original state with lots of elbow grease and oil. If left any longer than that the effects would most likely have been tragic.

I am currently purchasing some very nicely figured MINT stocks that came off of a 760. The gun was purchased and stored in the cab of a truck for an entire season. Although the donor rifle was barely used the barrel is completely rust pitted.

I would not discount the effects of condensation on a firearm.

Last edited by Exophysical; 11-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

unless you end up in a place that doesn't allow you to shoot i don't fully understand what is wrong with just discharging the firearm between hunts?? most people don't shoot enough to begin with.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

post not intended for Pyrodex users....

I'm with you Johnny. But every shot only costs me less than a dollar. Some folks buy expensive bullets and use expensive pellet powder. Costs them 3X more per shot than me. That's a reason why they prefer to stay loaded day-to-day.

Other folks feel they must do a complete cleaning after shooting at the end of the day. If we use the less corrosive powders and proper wet patch-spray that contains a small amount of rust inhibitor in it, you can do it in two patches....... one wet and one dry. No need to do a complete cleaning.

I shoot my MLs everyday, sometime for an entire week without a tear-down, having used 777, American Pioneer, real black and now currently Blackhorn 209. Plus I hunt in the humid Midwest. The only time I go beyond one wet patch per day is if it's snowing or raining.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 11-15-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

all the answers to this may or not be correct it just depends on each circumstance. usually you can get away with not cleaning and i try it more often out here in the west but not as much in the north east !! i have no problem taking the time to clean my guns and they are all spotless the only bad part is i shoot whites and we all know about the squib load issue and i hate having to shoot a couple of primers off and then the squib load at 4am that's the only thing that prevents me from cleaning every night !!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
unless you end up in a place that doesn't allow you to shoot i don't fully understand what is wrong with just discharging the firearm between hunts?? most people don't shoot enough to begin with.
I hunt from dark to dark and don't clean my inlines bore unless I have shot the load at game. If I'm not hunting again the following morning, I pull the breach plug and retrieve the bullet/sabot for later use.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I hunt from dark to dark and don't clean my inlines bore unless I have shot the load at game. If I'm not hunting again the following morning, I pull the breach plug and retrieve the bullet/sabot for later use.
a reasonable excuse right there.
i generally hunt first light and i'm too picky so there's plenty of time for me to work on shooting paper later in the day lol.