Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 Knight Mountaineers 1:20 twists >

.45 Knight Mountaineers 1:20 twists

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Knight Mountaineers 1:20 twists

Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I wouldn't classify it as a failure of a fast twist . I actually like the Mountaineer . I have no desire for an ultra lite
And they sold all 25 without even letting anybody know they had them , and without advertising them. How is that a failure ?
While I would much rather have a Ultra-Lite 45 than the Mountaineer 45 those of you that truly want a long range 45 cal. muzzle loader the Mountaineer with the longer barrel is probably the way to go. Myself in the PacNorWest hunting in the mountains the 45 ULite would be great. By the time I load my Super DISC with the powder column and the bullet I have lost nearly 4" of useable barrel - in the Mountaineer that loss can be almost off-set by the additional length of the barrel. And for those shooting BH that loss or gain could be a factor. Especially when shooting long range.

I also believe there is a market for a 45 fast twist. Under the current ML rules set forth in most states the 45 would only fit a nitch of hunting scenarios, mainly deer hunting. In some states you could use the 45 during regular rifle season on Bear, Elk, Moose and stay within the rules, but for most ML shooters they use the ML during ML season and return right away to center fire rifles as soon as possible. The 50 still remains the more versatile of the two.

Still almost all of the manufacturers 'market-teers' are telling them a 45 market is a very limited.

But yet if Knight would come out with a 45 fast twist ULite I would own one.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I wouldn't classify it as a failure of a fast twist . I actually like the Mountaineer . I have no desire for an ultra lite
And they sold all 25 without even letting anybody know they had them , and without advertising them. How is that a failure ?

My conversation with the guy at knight made it seem as they perceive it as a failure. He told me they made the run of guns to test the market but yet they did not go very quickly at all. I talked to the guy back in September and they had two left like yesterday? How is taking that long just to sell 25 guns a success? It doesn't really matter though, if they perceive it as a failure then it is a failure in their eyes and they will use that to not make more. We will see what happens though.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say they sold pretty good since they kept it such a big secret that they even had any.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. They can spin it however they want, to fit the desired outcome they want to have.

Either way, I'm looking forward to some reports... I'm sure a few folks will be shooting them soon!