Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Election Day buck

Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Election Day buck

][/url]

some of youall have seen him already. 8-)

Took a real nice 10 point yesterday afternoon at 4:30pm with the S91 .451 and a 480 Bullshop. I actually recovered the conical, which did its job perfect!! I was in a blind Sun and Mon evening an was only seeing does then Mon evening right at last light at least two deer came right in front of me. I could see the first deer an it knew the blind was there an wouldn't take its eyes off, so I couldn't move. They eventually didn't like something an trotted off, so on Tues I figured if I went lower than that blind to another spot I have I could see them before dark.

So I got to my spot at 3:20pm an it was hot, 75* too hot really.. At about 4:15pm I heard a buck grunting an saw three bucks coming from the field into the woods heading for the blind. I stood up an got ready, hoping they would work their way towards me. I have killed two bucks from this spot in past years. They started coming my way, one was a broken 8pt (now5pt) another was a small rack (guessing 4-6pt) and this big deer was behind them he stood back an let the younger bucks walk on down and wouldn't move to where I could get a better shot. He was moving his head some, but standing still and I could see his left shoulder somewhat with some brush in the way further back. The broken 8pt was coming right at me an was looking at me an stopped. I had to take the shot on the big buck if I was gonna have a chance, so I held on the shoulder (guessing 60-70yds) and pulled the trigger.

At the shot the two smaller bucks took off but hung around for a while not knowing where I was, but I couldn't see the bigger buck I had shot at, he wasn't with them so I hoped he was down. I gave him about 10 minutes, then slowly got my gear together an walked up to him. DRT BABY!!

There were two holes in his neck which I was second guessing my shot, but heck he was down!! I called my friend (landowner) who came up an we tied him to his 4 wheeler an drug him to his house where I gutted him. He was so heavy it took both of us bearly to get him in the back of my truck.

I took him to a local processor as it was just too hot to take a chance on loosing the meat. When they skinned him out there was actually a hole just below the back on the left side where I had aimed. I believe he moved his head when I shot, maybe to lick his side, not sure at all, but it makes sense as the entrance was in the neck then came though the neck lower and went into the side. I actually recovered the bullshop conical too! First one since I have been shooting Whites!

He is a 165# field dressed 10point, my guess is he would have gone around 200# on the hoof. Thank you Lord!!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice going TT! Did you take any pics of that Bullshop?
Old 11-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the fine buck. Good job!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flounder33
Nice going TT! Did you take any pics of that Bullshop?
Not yet, waiting for somebody to ask....
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Since Art asked...this is the Bullshop conical recovered from my buck above on right. Left shows the bullet for comparison. I don't have a weight scale...

Last edited by toytruck; 11-05-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome man! Great job! That is a super VA buck!

That bullet looks about like we expect it should So cool that you recovered it.

Deer do some strange things sometimes. My brother in law shot a small buck one time with a bow at about 30yds, and it turned around right as he released and he double lunged it on the opposite side he was aiming. LOL

Glad it worked out for you! Congrats
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on a great harvest. That conical looked like it preformed perfect to me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
congratulations on a great harvest. That conical looked like it preformed perfect to me.
+1
And I bet it only lost a couple grains in the process.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a very nice deer. Congratulations.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

WAY TO GO TT!! Them big 451 pure soft lead connicals sure do hit like the hammer of Thor, expand nicely and penetrate don't they.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.