Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Coldest temp you've hunted in? >

Coldest temp you've hunted in?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Coldest temp you've hunted in?

Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hunted one time at 18°. Don't want to do that again.
You are soft. 18 is the typical low for the Kansas late season.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Two years ago, the first day was a high in the 20s. The next five days had a high around zero and lows around 15 below. I took a really nice Whitetail with my 45 Elite, 100 Bh209, Win 209 blue.

Instant ignition on day 4 of the cold.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Well considering he is from Louisiana and getting up there in age I wouldn't call him "soft". He's just not used to cold weather. You probably couldn't stand the heat he has to tolerate during early archery season. I know I hated it myself! Not to mention the mosquitos there need to call in for landing clearance!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted snowshoe hare in Wisconsin a number of years ago & it was in the single digits so we waited until 11 a.m. to take the dogs out. I thought that was cold until I hunted Montana last year, it was -20 w/ wind chill of -36, so effn cold I was the only one of 8 hunters in camp to go out. We glassed a meadow/hayfield that had 150+ elk in it, only 5 of which were legal bulls & I shot the largest at 347 yds. w/ my .338 Win Mag uphill & scoped the sh*t out of my eye. Never in my life do I want to hunt when it's that cold. I get cold when it's in the 20s here in VA sitting in a deer stand At least in MT we were spotting & stalking, unfortunately the whole week was below 20 degrees & we did more spotting than stalking...
Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot in subzero weather and felt very comfortable and I've shot in 40 degree weather and been close to hypothermic.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

The coldest I went out to hunt. I wouldn't call it hunting. More just sitting in the cold. It was -32º below zero. Down along the river bottom where my stand was, it could have been colder. Its usually five degrees colder then where the cabin is. But no wind at least. Well not much. We were staying in a friends rustic cabin back in the woods that night. Wood stove for heat. Woke up and the water pail was frozen because someone forgot to wake up once in a while and load the stove. The dogs water dish was froze solid and too the floor of the cabin. He was sure confused.

Got up, got a fire going, huddled around the stove while the coffee cooked and all of us debated whether we wanted to go out and get in our tree stands that morning. Ate some cold corn bread and lots of hot coffee. Ate a wad of butter and decided to try it. My brother, my buddy and I decided to "try" and see how long we could take it. They said my brother was back within the hour. He was red in color and shivering so bad they had to thaw him out. My friend was back shortly after that. I lasted about two and a half hours sitting in a blind. But I had to admit... nothing was moving and I was cold!!! So we all came back in. For the afternoon hunt it had warmed up to -22º below so we all headed out again. I made it until dark but it was sure nice to see the lights of the cabin on the way walking out of the wood.

When its that cold I sure appreciated good boots, layering, and glove heaters. I was using a .54 caliber percussion Renegade with roundball. Once back at the cabin, I fired it off at the range we had there. It fired perfect.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

About 8 degrees for me. That's cold enough.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
Yep. Never claimed otherwise. Most of the season I'm hunting with morning lows in the low 40's and daytime highs in the low 60's. And I tell you, anything below freezing is COLD!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted when it was 20 below...that was a few years ago, don't think i could do that anymore..getting older now .
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yep. Never claimed otherwise. Most of the season I'm hunting with morning lows in the low 40's and daytime highs in the low 60's. And I tell you, anything below freezing is COLD!
Naah, you're not soft Semi, you're just acclimated to your environment...

I have relatives that are born and bred Yankees that have lived in the South for a number of years now and they just can't stand what we consider comfortable weather here when they come up for a visit. My sister in law lived in south Alabama for over thirty years until her husband passed and she remarried and relocated to upstate NY several years ago. She's just now starting to get where she can stand it when the thermometer dips below 32 degrees!!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.